Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Italian and Asian power outlets?

Italian and Asian power outlets?
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 10, 2004, 11:24 PM

I live in Canada which has the same power plugs as the US.

I have a converter that changes the two straight plugs into two round ones, which apparently is good for some parts of Asia. Do these adapters also work for Italy? I know Italy uses something similar but I'm not sure if they're exactly the same.

I need to charge my camera batteries, my TiBook, and my phone. My chargers are 240 V 50 Hz compatible, so that's not an issue. My phone is actually from Asia, so it already comes with the round plugged charger, which appears identical to the plug adapter I have. I'm thinking it's plug type C.

It looks like this:

From this page: http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Am I OK with this in Italy?

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2004, 12:06 AM

I was in Italy this summer, and that looks like the same kind of power outlet. You might consider getting a voltage converter instead of just an adapter if you are going to be charging batteries or plugging in computers. (Europe uses different voltages than the US)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
I was in Italy this summer, and that looks like the same kind of power outlet. You might consider getting a voltage converter instead of just an adapter if you are going to be charging batteries or plugging in computers. (Europe uses different voltages than the US)
All chargers these days switch between 110/220 V so there is no need for another voltage converter. And yes Eug that is the standard European plug that works everywhere. Altough I have noticed that in Italy they sometimes have wallplugs with less space between the 2 prongs (I think that's the word for the 2 sticks). But that is no problem with the Apple power adapter and most cell phone adapters.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 06:12 AM

Japan uses the same plug shape as the US. The voltage is 100V everywhere, but the frequency is either 50 or 60Hz depending on where you are.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 07:58 AM

Judging from the plugs in my Apple World Travel Adapter kit, the plug with the two round pins that works in Korea is not the same as the one for continental Europe. The pins on the European plugs are thinner.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2004, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
All chargers these days switch between 110/220 V.
European countries are supposed to standardise on 230 V.

Sealobo
Sep 11, 2004, 12:45 PM

i thought this thread is about mafia vs. triad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules