Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Holy cow, there is a fan in my Pismo !

Holy cow, there is a fan in my Pismo !
PacHead
Baninated
Dec 11, 2004, 02:15 PM

I've had my pismo for a few years now, and it's working fine, however I was almost sure the fan was broken since it hadn't turned on in a couple of years. Now, I didn't really mind 'cause my pismo is quiet as hell, and I can't stand loud computers.

The other day when I was watching a DVD and downloading something, and doing some stuff in the background, I heard this loud noise from the pismo. It turns out that the fan does indeed work, and it turned on for the first time in 2 years ! Damn, Apple must've set the threshold pretty damn high before the fan kicks in.

Anyhow, I'm glad my fan still works and it will turn on if neccesary, but here's to hoping it doesn't turn on for two more years !

hanxu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2004, 03:01 PM

LOL, nowadays, fans on computers are mad, I knew someone's PC desktop, the fan is loud as hell.

I recall few years ago, when I had Pentium computer, my CPU and Graphic card didn't really have a fan.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 04:16 PM

i heard the fan on my pismo several times over 3 years; the one on my 12" alu (revC, 1.25g ram) goes on most-of-the time...

the pismo is a great machine (but i'm still not giving up my newer pb)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2004, 05:01 PM

Do some iMovie work, or better yet, put in a 900 MHz G3 upgrade and you'll hear it regularly...

BTW, my revA PB17 is almost as quiet. I hear its fan maybe once a month. Was an amazing change from the aircraft-loud TiPB it replaced. [It's not as warm as the Pismo, however, so if you like the lapwarmer function, you'd be disappointed.] Rumor is that the PB17 machines are Steve J's favorite machines, they're got to be quiet!

hanxu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2004, 08:51 PM

My PowerBook 15inch 1.5G the fan only goes on when I put the energy saving to high performance.

andyeb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2004, 01:38 AM

Now this is reassuring because I'm trying to get a dead lombard and pismo up and running again, but nothing I do to them makes the fan kick in.

...unlike this G5. In fact, I've switched energy saver onto highest this morning to warm the room up a little Now that's one thing you don't get with a powerbook - built in room heating device

Andy

Dr.Michael
Dec 13, 2004, 05:06 AM

Same here.

I used my Pismo for years. And one day I converted a dvd to svcd and put the Pismo on the sofa (no air ventilation). After 2 hours of 100% cpu I suddenly heard an unfamiliar sound. That was the one and only time that the fan came up.

Great machine.

poocat
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2004, 05:54 AM

Isn't it amazing? The first time it kicked on, two years after i bought it, i almost freaked out and dropped it because i was sure i'd broken something.

I love my pismo.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

nagromme
Senior User
Dec 13, 2004, 07:52 PM

My Lombard has never turned on its fan in 4 years. Not when smothered on a carpet, running 3D graphics and spinning a CD. It feels hot, but never hot enough to use a fan. Or maybe my fan was broken since I bought it

I thought my Al G4 was loud (during 3D games anyway)... until I heard a recent PC laptop. Wow! Aside from being 2 inches thick, it sounded like an air conditioner! Now I won't take my usually-silent/never-THAT-loud AlBook for granted.
nagromme

Forum Links
Forum Rules