Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Norton SystemWorks Causes Backlight to Fail?

Norton SystemWorks Causes Backlight to Fail?
mkuehn
Nov 6, 2001, 01:32 PM

I hope one of you have some kind of idea as to how to fix this; it's really kind of unnerving.

If I run Norton Disk Doctor as part of the Norton SystemWorks package on my iBook 500 (Mac OS 9.2.1), using it to find and repair all errors on the system disk, it appears to cause the backlight to not power up the next time I wake from sleep (I think) or shutdown and start up (I know for sure). The screen illuminates for a brief moment, then I hear some type of electronic "charging" noise, like the backlight wants to power up, but can't, and so fails, making this noise in what seems like the lower right-hand corner.

After that, things progress as they normally do, but without any backlight, which makes things very hard to use, as you might imagine. :-) You can still see the icons on the desktop if the light is just right, and you can use the computer normally, but sans backlight.

The only way I can recover from this is by booting into Mac OS X. I think the first time this happened, I booted into Mac OS X on the hard drive, and the second time, I booted from the install CD. At that point, when the screen backlight normally comes on, it actually does, and then when you shut down and boot back into OS 9.2.1, the backlight has been magically "fixed". I've tried zapping the PRAM, booting from a Mac OS 9 disc, and running the Hardware Diagnostics disc, but nothing works but booting into OS X.

Any light you can shed on this problem (that's a pun; get it? ) would be greatly appreciated; it's kind of a different problem, I think. I can see a software product causing some other piece of hardware to fail, but the backlight relying on some piece of data on the disk that Norton is messing with? Seems strange...

Anyway, I'm going to try to get a hold of Apple and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks,
Matthew[/LIST]

You can never have too many Macs.

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2001, 11:01 PM

You know, it could be that you have a faulty display cable and that your successful boot-ups with OS X and the system CD could have been coincidental. How often has this problem happened?

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: Michael T. Doyle ]
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

mkuehn  (op)
Apr 14, 2005, 04:41 PM

Turns out this was a faulty logic board; it was sent in and repaired.

You can never have too many Macs.

galarneau
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 08:34 PM

Holy return from the dead thread!!!! 3.5 years!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules