Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Used imac - how do i reset user password??

Used imac - how do i reset user password??
smileLP
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2005, 12:20 AM

i bought an imac G3 on ebay and it won't let me update software w/o entering the password

unfortunately, the person i bought this computer from has no recollection of ever supplying a password, although obviously he did at one point

what - - if any - - are my options, to change the password, so it's something i can enter (and how would i do this?)

the seller did NOT provide the original operating system disc!

thanks much in advance!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2005, 04:27 AM

Tough.

Sounds like you're running OS X, which the seller should provide on CD (it's not the original system that came with the computer, btw) - else, you're running it illegally, and the machine needs to be priced accordingly.

You NEED the OS X install CD, because you have to boot from that in order to re-set the admin password.

UNLESS: If you don't actually enter an admin password when you first install OS X (NOT a good idea, but hey, it wasn't you), then simply leaving it blank and hitting return when asked should do it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2005, 08:22 AM

A startup CD is the easiest path to happiness here, as has been said. Short of that this article may help, depending on how far you want to go with the command line. A respondent to the article brought up a good point, though - if the Accounts pane is unlocked, you can create a new admin account.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2005, 09:40 AM

ok, how does one acquire a startup CD at this stage of the game? ebay? some kind volunteer?

(yes, i'm running OS X, btw)

thanks!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2005, 09:50 AM

Personally, I prefer to just buy software at the store, but you can use eBay if you want. Heck, if you're really really charismatic, I guess you could even try to get someone to volunteer to buy you a copy. At any rate, there are many avenues to acquire software.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Personally, I prefer to just buy software at the store, but you can use eBay if you want. Heck, if you're really really charismatic, I guess you could even try to get someone to volunteer to buy you a copy. At any rate, there are many avenues to acquire software.
He doesn't specify, but if it's a slot-loading iMac then it won't run Tiger, and going forwards finding Panther in stores is going to be difficult.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
He doesn't specify, but if it's a slot-loading iMac then it won't run Tiger, and going forwards finding Panther in stores is going to be difficult.
slot-loading iMacs run Tiger most excellently.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
He doesn't specify, but if it's a slot-loading iMac then it won't run Tiger...
Not true: my good old iMac DV SE 400MHz Slotloading runs Tiger, not as smooth as my PowerMac Dual 2 GHz, but it does.

Forum Links
Forum Rules