Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 MDD has a heating issue......

G4 MDD has a heating issue......
Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2005, 12:26 AM

Ive got a heating issue with my powermac. It was running at 133F all the time, but is at 136-138F now. It will heat to 138F, the fan kicks in extra hard and drops it to 136F then it does it all over again. I added a little extra thermal paste between the processers and heat sink, no help there. Its a Dual Ghz, no mods at all, 1280mb of ram and 2 harddrives.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2005, 12:54 AM

Did you trying cleaning the dust buildup at the front bottom ventilation grilles of your MDD?

If the ventilation grille have a huge buildup of dust, it will block off air from going into your MDD from your intake fan and your MDD will run hotter.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2005, 04:05 AM

My computer (dual 1.42 G4) usually runs exactly at your temps in the summer. Once the air temp is down around 60 degrees F it runs at around 132. I've found a few things that have really helped cool it off and quiet it down. You should check out this thread.

Bandit240  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2005, 09:39 AM

The dust build up is cleaned out. IT was after a cleaning that all this started happning. I removed the heat sink to clean under it(and it was nasty).

Morpheus
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit240
I added a little extra thermal paste between the processers and heat sink.
I think there lies the problem.

Applying thermal paste as thin as possible is crucial! Most likely it's too much now.

Usually it's not easy to do it as well as it was done factory-wise. That's why I would recommend against removing heatsinks unless abslolutely needed.

Bandit240  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2005, 06:04 PM

well i removed all the old stuff and then reapplied a small amount. bealive me, that heat sink needed to be removed and cleaned, it was nasty. i moved the mac away from the monitor for a little more breathing room and it seems to be a little cooler.

geekstud
Oct 30, 2005, 11:08 PM

I recently worked on a client's Power Mac G4 dual 1 GHz (Quicksilver) system to improve the noise and heating issues. We replaced the 60mm power supply fans with much more quiet units from www.newegg.com and used some ducting to direct cooler air to the power supply rather then the internal heated air. We installed a PCI slot fan at the top of the system, which was quiet and really gets a lot of heat out from the inside. We ordered a copper heatsink from www.smalldog.com to replace the original aluminum unit, and used the thermal paste cleaning products, and then the thermal paste, from http://www.arcticsilver.com. The Arctic Silver cleaning solution is amazingly effective, and the thermal paste is far better than OEM stuff. The system now runs cooler and is significantly more quiet, although still not as quiet as we had hoped - the CPU fan still makes a good deal of noise blowing past the heatsink fins.

Cheers,

-Nathan

Bandit240  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2005, 02:20 PM

Well ive solved the issue, Im trading it for a 1ghz Ti Powerbook at the end of this week.

Forum Links
Forum Rules