Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 01:16 AM

Anyone familiar with Dreamweaver? I have a very frustrating problem. I am trying to build several templates upon which to base my pages. I can make templates, including editable regions. I can make a page based on a template. I can work on that page, editing within the editable regions. The problem is that as soon as I preview the page, I can no longer see the contents of the page within dreamweaver. Everything previews just fine, but there is something about the preview (and saving) process that makes all the content of the page invisible when I go back to dreamweaver.

I have a navigation bar that is being included at the very top of the document- and that navigation bar is the only thing that is visible when I go back to edit the page in dreamweaver- again the page renders fine in safari.

I hope this makes sense. Any words of wisdom? I'm pulling my hair out.

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 01:17 AM

I don't know if this is helpful- but I have put the php include statement within the template itself- so I don't have to re-type it each time. Would that make things buggy?

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 01:23 AM

Sorry for the multiple posts- but it looks like if I make a new page based on a template, and I remove the <?php> include statement from the very beginning of the document- I can preview, save, etc. without losing the ability to see the page's content. I suppose I can cut this code out and re-paste it when I'm done with the page, but it seems to be an unneccessary work-around.

Any thoughts?

skalie
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 04:46 AM

I'd blame the php, as it is server side code and therefore doesn't render in preview mode as it hasn't been parsed by a server.

FTP to a server, be it a localhost or "live" and you will see everything hunky dory in a browser.

[disclaimer] I'm a text editor as opposed to a Dreamweaver user, if there is a cunning manner to preview php code with Dreamweaver I'm all ears.[/disclaimer]

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2005, 07:49 AM

The behaviour you appear to be describing, appears too me (i."e""."?!?) to be argueably con-sis-t3ntine wiv teh web-er-Dreamweaving process itself.

"Pages intended to be viewed in an by browsers that surf teh web. That Dreamweavers cannot apparewntly view the pages' code after they have w0ven the pages into te web, s33m5 k1DNA irrelevant, n0t2mansion .-less."
~i4Entertainmint

RThat sed, you d0 make a po9int.

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2005, 07:49 AM

I think you are right. In fact, it previews well on both local server and the remote server- I just lose the content because of the php calls. I am gonna try to see if I move the php statements deeper into the document to see if that makes a difference? I'll let you know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules