Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question for OS X hardcore users...

Question for OS X hardcore users...
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 02:50 PM

Hi guys,

I had two systems a cube running 10.3 and a tiPB running 10.4 (main machine). Basically, I wanted to upgrade my cube to Tiger (to run google earth a bit better). However I did not have the Tiger installation DVD. So, since I did not have any valuable data on my cube I used "carbon copy cloner" to clone my tiPB HD on my cube's HD. A good way, I thought to have an additional back up. To do this I used a FW external HD previously cloned from my tiPB HD.

I checked and yes, when starting up the cube using the external FW HD tiger run beautifully.

However, once the cube's HD was cloned I had problems when starting up.

Basically, the start up sequence gets stuck and a black screen appears. In the top-left appears a command line:

"/etc/master.passwd: no such file or directory
-sh-2.o5b#"

Honestly, my cube runs nicely when using the ext. HD, however, I think it is time to figure out how to solve the cube's HD for a proper start up. The idea is to increase performance.

Do you have any ideas about what's going on wrong and if there's a chace to fix it?

Thanks.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 06:07 PM

I'm not sure how to fix your problem but recloning using Disk Utility instead of CCC would probably work better.

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 06:19 PM

Making an image? is there a tutorial? Thanks

I didn;t know it was possible to clone a HD using disk utility.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

P
Dec 17, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by cenutrio
Making an image? is there a tutorial? Thanks

I didn;t know it was possible to clone a HD using disk utility.
Eh... Boot from another drive, start Disk Utility, Go to File -> New -> Disk Image from Disk and the partition number for the disk. Or select a drive and click "New Image". Nothing wrong with CCC though.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2005, 07:26 PM

I read some versions of Carbon Copy Cloner had trouble with Tiger but the latest version should be alright. I personally use SuperDuper and it worked great for cloning my Tiger drive.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 09:44 PM

No, you can copy one disk to another using Disk Utility. It's under the Restore tab when select a drive.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 10:38 PM

Something in OS 10.4 & 10.4.1 broke compatibility with CCC. Whatever it was got fixed in 10.4.2. CCC, still at vers. 2.3, will work with OS 10.4.2 or newer.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by cenutrio
However I did not have the Tiger installation DVD.
Does that mean what it sounds like?
So, when you say "hardcore" you are
referring to those who paid for Tiger?

Avast ye matey...
Yo ho ho and a bottle of
AAARRRRRRRHHGGGGH.
-HI-

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2005, 04:32 PM

This may not work, but...

Start up from external drive
Fire up migration assistant (in utilities folder)
Connect the powerbook in target disk mode
follow instructions

give it a try
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis
Does that mean what it sounds like?
So, when you say "hardcore" you are
referring to those who paid for Tiger?

Avast ye matey...
Yo ho ho and a bottle of
AAARRRRRRRHHGGGGH.

I have Tiger on my PB because my lab where i got my graduate work done had licenses for every single compuer that belong to the lab plus the staff. My cube had 10.3which was ok at the time. However, being google earth Tiger only encouraged me to update my cube.

Ok, I suceed cloning my cube HD. Right now is working great. I used SuperDuper. Great, easy, simple and works.

Thanks guys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules