Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Finally thought of a good quote for my signature

Finally thought of a good quote for my signature
Matius
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2005, 05:13 PM

Nothing profound or exciting in this post. Just wanted to show off my signature now that I actually have one. Always liked this quote and came across it again recently. No graphics or pics yet. Still working on it...slowly.
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2005, 05:23 PM

Sweet. I like a bit of Eric.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2005, 10:24 PM

So what happens if the good people stay awake? Does that make them rough men? When do rough men sleep? Come on, if you're going to post a quote like that, you have to give us the answers!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
So what happens if the good people stay awake? Does that make them rough men? When do rough men sleep? Come on, if you're going to post a quote like that, you have to give us the answers!

Matius  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
Okay then. If the good people stay awake they can still do whatever they're doing in peace, knowing that the same rough men will do violence on their behalf no matter their state of activity. Those good people who are awake can be the rough men in the qoute should they choose to volunteer to do it. Rough men sleep, although sometimes not for 48 and 72 hour stretches, but when they do sleep they sleep in shifts so that there is always security.
“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2005, 08:51 AM

According to this image's caption, Moses drove off the rough men. Now what?

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2005, 09:01 AM

Well done, I like it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules