Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Minor dilemma.

Minor dilemma.
volcano
Senior User
Jan 16, 2006, 01:52 AM

A friend of mine has a birthday coming up, and I've decided to buy her an Apple computer. She loves my iBook, and grabs it everytime she possibly can. I have the latest version (1.33GHz G4, 1GB RAM) and I absolutely love it. I know she'll love Mac if I just force-feed her one.

Anyway.

I've be scouring my local Craiglist and have been searching on eBay for nearly a week now. Simple, right? Not so much. I keep having this dilemma: my budget is around $500 (perhaps a tad more, depending on what's available) and a G3 seemed fine. But then I started thinking: if she gets an iPod later on (from me, more than likely) it will only have USB support. iBook's didn't have USB 2.0 until the G4 processors were introduced, so if I bought her a G3, she would have to live with the slow syncing of a USB 1.1 port.

There's the problem. I would love to find an 800MHz G4 iBook, but I've been having no luck with that. Heck, I'd even consider a 1GHz G4 model, as long as I didn't have to spend too much more (I think $600-650 is reasonable, anyway). And the sad part is, when I do find a model I like [on eBay], 99.5% of the time they do NOT include the Airport (Extreme, in some cases) Card - which is really frustrating! I do not want to shell out another $100 for that, considering it used to be an $80 or so option back in the day. I wouldn't mind buying one and installing it, though, if the price of the iBook allowed such a thing to take place. I'm also looking for Tiger to be installed on it - with the original discs, because I plan on restoring the system as soon as it arrives for a nice, clean setup.

Am I making too big of a deal about this USB thing? She'll mainly use the computer for iTunes, Microsoft Word, and maybe some Photoshop every now and then - nothing too strenous. I know the dingy 600MHz G3 would barely be useable, so I figured at least a 800/900MHz G3 might do the job well enough. Any thoughts?

I started to consider buying her either an iMac G4 or eMac, but I believe she would really love the portability of the laptop. She's like me - she can't stand being stuck at home for hours upon hours writing a paper.

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Jan 16, 2006, 02:21 AM

Okay, nevermind. I just picked up an 800MHz G4 w/ Tiger, Combo drive, original box, original discs for $475.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Where? I'm looking for a system just like that.

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Jan 16, 2006, 02:55 AM

eBay, actually. Sometimes when I search I select the 'Sort By: Time: Newly listed' option and I come across some good 'Buy It Now' listings. I was tempted to purchase a 600MHz G3 w/ everything included for $300 earlier but I'm glad I waited.

Forum Links
Forum Rules