Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I need help with time

I need help with time
Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2006, 07:07 PM

Ok would someone please help me out with this small little problem?

At work i have to figure out how long something ran. so they give me two hours; a start time and a finish time. what i would like to know is. Using a basic calculator how can i figure out how long something ran.

example: 5:40pm to 2:12am would equal a run of 8 hours and 24 minutes.

so far i am resorting to paper and pencil to figure these times out. but this is getting really anoying and time consuimg because some days i have to figure out about 30 run times.

I would ask for a widget that did this, but they got me using windows 2k.

or pehaps someone could hook me up with an exel formula that would calculate it?

Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Kino
Ok would someone please help me out with this small little problem?

At work i have to figure out how long something ran. so they give me two hours; a start time and a finish time. what i would like to know is. Using a basic calculator how can i figure out how long something ran.

example: 5:40pm to 2:12am would equal a run of 8 hours and 24 minutes.

so far i am resorting to paper and pencil to figure these times out. but this is getting really anoying and time consuimg because some days i have to figure out about 30 run times.

I would ask for a widget that did this, but they got me using windows 2k.

or pehaps someone could hook me up with an exel formula that would calculate it?

Thanks.
If you meant to say 5:40pm to 2:12 AM is 8 hours and 32 minutes, then use the following equation in Excel:

=IF(B1-A1<0,B1-A1+1,B1-A1)

Where the start time is in A1 and the end time is in B1, both in 24h format (17:40 and 2:12)
This assumes all times are less than 24h apart... if you need multi-day differences then the formula and required input becomes more complex.

this seems like too obvious/simple of a solution... maybe i'm missing something...

Mr Kino  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2006, 12:48 PM

Thank you so much for this formula, but start and stop times are not done in 24 hour format. I thought about the 24 hour thing too, it would be so much easier if they did give me the times in 24 hour format, but they dont. =(

btw, they showed me a program called webshots. its neat, except i can only have 160 pictures rotating at a time. which totally does not work for me.

would someone please suggest a different program to rotate wallpaper, also it should be able to support at least 3k pictures.

Thank you. =)

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 12:55 PM

Thank you so much for this formula, but start and stop times are not done in 24 hour format. I thought about the 24 hour thing too, it would be so much easier if they did give me the times in 24 hour format, but they dont. =(
The following formula works for intraday times:

Format column A as Time: Type: 1:30 PM
Format column B as Time: Type: 1:30 PM
Format column C as Time: Type: 13:30

Type the equation "=B-A" into column C.

Now, enter your start times into column A and your stop times into column B and you should get the correct differences in terms of hours and minutes in column C.
( Last edited by f1000; Feb 28, 2006 at 01:26 PM. )

Mr Kino  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2006, 02:09 PM

OMG thank you so much. looking good so far. its not calculating the time from pm to am correctly though. eg. 12:45 pm and 4:45 am give me a bunch of "######"s.

I hope i am not getting anoying but if i get something running it would save me some time, and the more time i have the more i can be here on the boards. LOL!!! ha ha jk.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 02:24 PM

OMG thank you so much. looking good so far. its not calculating the time from pm to am correctly though. eg. 12:45 pm and 4:45 am give me a bunch of "######"s.
You can't have AM follow PM intraday. Unfortunately, I won't be able to respond anymore for a few days, but hopefully others will be able to help you.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 01:49 AM

Do what F1000 suggested, but make the formula in C be =IF(A<B,B-A,24-(A-B))

Note the parentheses, they're important

Y3a
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 10:03 AM

Are you benchmarking the times for a specific group of jobs?

If so, make a spreadsheet of the job names, and continue to do the time calcs by hand, entering the results into your spreadsheet. It isn't THAT difficult to count to 24 OR 60.

Mr Kino  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Are you benchmarking the times for a specific group of jobs?

If so, make a spreadsheet of the job names, and continue to do the time calcs by hand, entering the results into your spreadsheet. It isn't THAT difficult to count to 24 OR 60.
benchmarking??? Naw nothing close to that. what i do here at 3M is calculate the run times on jobs, and make sure that what they ran matches the amount of time they ran it for. They range anywhere from 1 hour to 24 hours.

I mean its not at all dificult to do it by hand, but why do it by hand when you can have exel do it for you? Also, i do not have 24 and i especially do not have 60 fingers to count with.

Thanks.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 09:52 PM

I hope that this all works out for the best. Good luck for a successful outcome.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

TheHobbyMan151
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 10:27 PM

definitely
TheHobbyMan151 enjoys sunsets, puppies, and belly lint. He can change this signature at any time, provided it doesn't include a huge image, an animated gif, or Carrot Top. I hate that guy. -DH

Forum Links
Forum Rules