Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 13" MacBook Pro anyone???

13" MacBook Pro anyone???
Frans
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2006, 10:38 PM

Rumours on AppelInsider and MacNN are suggesting we can expect a 13" iBook/MacBook in the near future. The iBook has never been an option for me, the specs are not advanced enough and no DVI-output. The 15" MacBook Pro is not an an option for me, it's to big and heavy for my traverschedule.
My hopes are on a lightweight, small, widescreen, thin MacBook Pro. I loved my old Sony Vaio for that. But I haven't found rumours to give me any hope for that. Did I just miss it? And am I the only one who wants a small and light MacOSX laptop?
Would love some comments on this.
( Last edited by Frans; Apr 26, 2006 at 09:40 PM. )
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2006, 10:53 PM

Forbes says a 13.3" widescreen laptop will be out in June. I expect we'll see the high and low end versions debut at the same time; the low-end may even have DVI.

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 08:24 AM

A 13.3 MacBook Pro would be like a dream computer for me. A perfect mix between size and power. I really hope they come up with such a model.

I wonder if the 12" Powerbook sells well. If it does, then they will need to replace it by another 12" or a wide screen 13.3". Sony has it, and it's just perfect.
S k y p a t

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Skypat
A 13.3 MacBook Pro would be like a dream computer for me. A perfect mix between size and power. I really hope they come up with such a model.
I've been waiting for this too, and today's Boot Camp announcement makes it even more appealing (although virtualization would be even better).
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

wowway1
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 11:32 AM

now that boot camp is out I will be one of the first in line to get a 12 or 13.3" widescreen mbp

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 02:32 PM

i waited over three years to go from a 10.4" powerbook (2400c) to the 12" (revC).
hey, i had a pismo in between...

"ibook" or whatever, am hoping for a PRO-SPEC'D 12" or 13" in june (otherwise i'll take my money & go to the virgin islands or something...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 05:26 PM

It's nice that true MacNN-addicts and -veterans are hoping for the same as I do.

Now the alternative '(otherwise i'll take my money & go to the virgin islands or something...)' also sounds very attractive
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

wilsonng
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 06:35 PM

well, Apple had the 12" iBook competing with the 12" PB. If history repeats itself, there will be a 13.3" MacBook as the low end and a 13" MacBook Pro as the high end. Both would offer similar form factors but just different enough to differentiate from each other.

I like the 15" MBP but it is just too large for me. Count me in for the 13.3" pro version.

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2006, 04:47 AM

If Apple is happy with 12" PowerBook sales, they will certainely have a new small MacBook Pro in their product line. All rumors confirms a 13.3 iBook so I don't see a Mac Book Pro 12" on the pro side ... I hope
S k y p a t

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 12:08 AM

The next expos/conferences/events are all unrelated and seem unlikely that Apple would reveal any new products there.

Do you think they'd just announce the products via a press conference or something of the sort?

When is the most likely date for them to release it? Is the June rumour an actual possibility?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2006, 03:25 AM

Check the recent TS article on the topic.

Bottom line is there will be no 13" MBP. There will be two 13" MBs. One with a Core Solo and integrated graphics to replace the iBook and one with a Duo (and hopefully a decent GPU) to replace the 12" PB.
•

volcano
Senior User
Apr 8, 2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
Check the recent TS article on the topic.

Bottom line is there will be no 13" MBP. There will be two 13" MBs. One with a Core Solo and integrated graphics to replace the iBook and one with a Duo (and hopefully a decent GPU) to replace the 12" PB.
Eh, I don't believe that. There is still a market for the sub-compact pro notebook, as long as Apple gives it enough "beef" to distinguish it from the iBook/MacBook. Personally, I like the fit and finish of the MacBook Pro more than the current iBook line - and I would snatch up a 13.3" MBP in a heartbeat. Here's to hoping!

MikeD
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 11:26 AM

Well, I'm a happy 12" PB owner here and too would like a small footprint MBP.

However, is anyone here with me in saying that it is a bit annoying to have this smaller screen 'edition' and 'PRO' model yet have it have less features than it's bigger screened counterparts? ie: faster processors in the larger screens or keyboard illumination in the bigger models. In that sense, it was almost like my PB was just an aluminum iBook which many too have also stated.

So, I would be all for having a a small screened MBP, but please, just make it ACTUALLY a true MBP with the screen size the differing spec.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2006, 11:29 AM

yeah, it's about time apple gave us a small notebook that wasn't an afterthought.

i love my 12" pb, but wish the screen didn't suck (it does, at least next to my gf's 15" alubook).
wish i had the backlit keys, greater speed, etc...

pro features, for those of us who have pro needs...and want a small mac to carry about.

c'mon apple, you can do it!!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 03:42 PM

Definetely agree there. It's been a long tradition to omit certain features from the smaller/more compact notebooks. It would be nice, if for once, we could have a compact notebook that satisfies the needs of 'Pro' users and has most of the goodies of the bigger notebooks.

If Apple can make a compact notebook with similar specs to the 15" MBP out now, that would be amazing.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 04:11 PM

it seems that they would release it in june as leopard is meant to be coming then.

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by kick52
it seems that they would release it in june as leopard is meant to be coming then.
I doubt that can be true as Leopard is meant to be releasing at the end of 2006 or early 2007. Apple has only confirmed that Leopard will be previewed at WWDC in early August.

..unless I have my sources wrong.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 9, 2006, 05:16 AM

oh, i heard it was coming in june...

Jens Peter
Senior User
Apr 9, 2006, 01:02 PM

Yes please! I would love to get a MBP in a small formfactor. Then I would replace my 12" right away...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 03:04 AM

Worst case for you sub-MBP wannabe buyers: 13" widescreen MacBook, 1.67GHz Core Duo, integrated graphics. Best case: 13" widescreen MacBook, 1.67GHz Core Duo, X1300/128MB. But it won't have 'Pro' in its name and it won't have an Al case. Apple's had enough of the 12" iBook vs. 12" PB issue. If it needs to be small, that's what it'll be. If it needs to be Al, you better start saving for a 15" MBP.
•

LJS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 09:37 AM

Last week I read apple inked a deal for 1.3 mil 13.3" screens.
Sorry I do not remember who the company was.

But i think that would confirm they are coming out with it.
Just not sure when?

real
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2006, 12:32 PM

thats what I am waiting for

woot!

I need to replace my vers A 12 powerbook

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 12:56 PM

What's always bugged me about this situation is that Sony's sub-notebooks cost *more* than their larger-screened siblings. I don't think Apple should go that far, but clearly, it's possible to put Pro features in a small package.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 02:09 PM

It would be nice if Apple had more ways to customize a laptop with high end features on their site... you could order a decked out 12", or a basic 17" This way could you get whatever you would like.

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2006, 02:32 PM

The article on AppleInsider also gives us hope for some good stuff:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1659

It's quite likely that they won't call the high-spec version 'Pro', and I'm fine with that, as long as it has a DVI-output so I can get my 20" Mac-screen to work with it... And it would also be great if these sweet little ones would be less than 2 kilo's....

And it's not that I don't have the money for a 15" (I'm not even paying for it!), I just want it small

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
It would be nice if Apple had more ways to customize a laptop with high end features on their site... you could order a decked out 12", or a basic 17" This way could you get whatever you would like.
I totally agree!!!

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Worst case for you sub-MBP wannabe buyers: 13" widescreen MacBook, 1.67GHz Core Duo, integrated graphics. Best case: 13" widescreen MacBook, 1.67GHz Core Duo, X1300/128MB. But it won't have 'Pro' in its name and it won't have an Al case. Apple's had enough of the 12" iBook vs. 12" PB issue. If it needs to be small, that's what it'll be. If it needs to be Al, you better start saving for a 15" MBP.
Indeed to the integrated graphics part.
But Apple doesn't seem to put integrated graphics chips in their computers very often. It may be possible that they'll put in one of those hybrid-type GPUs. But meh, if the difference between processing power between the 13" and 15" models will be so noticeable, then I'm willing to sacifice the portability.

On another note, when are the Merom chips expected to show up? The last time I checked, Merom was expected to be rolling around sometime Q3. But now there are some sources floating around that say that Merom won't be here until November, only in time for the holiday buying season.

But oh well, I guess that doesn't really affect Macs much, cause Merom chips probably won't be seeing implementation until the next major revision, which is likely to show up with Leopard if anything.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by LJS
Last week I read apple inked a deal for 1.3 mil 13.3" screens.
Sorry I do not remember who the company was.
Asustek has the ODM contract to build the laptops for Apple; three different companies will supply the screens.

Originally Posted by TailsToo
That's part of the flexibility Dell offers that I'd love to see Apple pick up on. But it creates problems with too many models for Apple's business model with retail stores holding stock.

Originally Posted by Zyphere
On another note, when are the Merom chips expected to show up? The last time I checked, Merom was expected to be rolling around sometime Q3. But now there are some sources floating around that say that Merom won't be here until November, only in time for the holiday buying season.

But oh well, I guess that doesn't really affect Macs much, cause Merom chips probably won't be seeing implementation until the next major revision, which is likely to show up with Leopard if anything.
Latest rumors I've heard say July for Conroe and September for Merom. I expect the Mac Pro will be available soon after Conroe is available (iMac will be updated a few months later), and an immediate MBP update when Merom launches.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2006, 08:41 PM

I've got a revision A 12" Powerbook G4. All I want is an Intel replacement. I don't want an iBook replacement with crappy built in video like the Mac mini. I'm actually going to wait until early 2007 to get it. So, hopefully something cool comes out by then.

I definitely need a new Macbook. The 867 Mhz processor in my current is really a dog. I play a lot of video and it really has somewhat of a hard time with it. I can play the same video on my 1.42 Ghz Mac mini and it flies.

wilsonng
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 10:46 PM

QuickTime Player sometimes chokes on some of my videos.

Try using the freeware mplayer. It seems to play videos a bit more smoothly than VLC does. That's what I use on my Rev A 12" PB.

The current VLC is also better than QuickTime Player. But for some reason, I sometimes have to use an older version of VLC 0.8.1 to play some videos that the current VLC can't handle.

I also am dying for a new MacBook but I can make do with what I've got....
( Last edited by wilsonng; Apr 11, 2006 at 12:21 AM. )

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2006, 08:08 AM

I would buy a widescreen 13.3" MacBook if it has : a dedicated graphic card (if I want to play some games on my windows partition). DVI output would be nice. Illuminated keyboard would be awesome. And of course dual core (1.83). For the rest ... oh yeah : please no white cheap plastic this time :-)
S k y p a t

24klogos
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 09:19 PM

a 13" MBP sounds just right, with a 16:9 widescreen will make perfect sense. I'm in.
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

LMaung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 09:54 PM

I M SO IN! time to dump my T42.
Super whine, super hot Macbook Pro.
IBM T42

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2006, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by LMaung
I M SO IN! time to dump my T42.
I'm sure you'll like it. My g/f bought a PowerBook G4/1.5GHz and got a T42 at work. She hardly ever touches the ThinkPad even though compared to other PC notebooks it's certainly one of the best.
•

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 12, 2006, 11:15 PM

I have a friend who is a long time Windows user, and he's telling me he wants the 13" MacBook Pro, and keep asking me everyday when will it be released, pricing and specs... He's is very kin, and he said if the spec is ther same as the current 15" MacBook Pro with a smaller screen, then his credit card is ready. So I would say there's a good reason why Apple should have a "Pro" MacBook in 13" form factor. He currently use a 17" Windows laptop, and he wants something nice and small (hence 13") so that he can carry around easily, but got all the powers he needed.

I personally waiting for a 13" MacBook Pro as well (if the specs are as good as the 15" one). Those 10" and 12" Sony Vaio and Toshiba laptops are very nice... I hope Apple will match them.

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by veryniceguy2002
I have a friend who is a long time Windows user, and he's telling me he wants the 13" MacBook Pro, and keep asking me everyday when will it be released, pricing and specs... He's is very kin, and he said if the spec is ther same as the current 15" MacBook Pro with a smaller screen, then his credit card is ready. So I would say there's a good reason why Apple should have a "Pro" MacBook in 13" form factor.
I personally waiting for a 13" MacBook Pro as well (if the specs are as good as the 15" one). Those 10" and 12" Sony Vaio and Toshiba laptops are very nice... I hope Apple will match them.
Exactly what I would think. As a former 10, 12 and 13 inch Sony Vaio user I can only think that if apple would be able to put a nice, lean, light machine together they will have a massive hit. It's just such a tease that we all have to wait untill his steveness will do his announcement....

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2006, 06:18 PM

As much as I'd like to see a 13" model with specs that match the 15" model out right now, it seems unlikely that will happen.

Looking at disassembly pics of a 15" model, I seriously wonder if there is any way that Apple can squeeze the exact same hardware with 2" less of space.

If you can prove otherwise, I'd love to hear.

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 03:39 PM

Mmm, that should be a challenge indeed, cramming it all into an even smaller package. However, the 13" will probably be a bit thicker.

New today on MacNN: http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/04/...books.ordered/

So the screens are there. Next week when the Q3-results are published might be a nice timing to announce new stuff....

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Frans
Mmm, that should be a challenge indeed, cramming it all into an even smaller package. However, the 13" will probably be a bit thicker.

New today on MacNN: http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/04/...books.ordered/

So the screens are there. Next week when the Q3-results are published might be a nice timing to announce new stuff....
Oh yeah. the 12" PBs have traditionally been slightly thicker than other models (i.e. the 17"). I don't really mind, as long as it doesn't go over 3cm thick (which is as thick as the 12" PBs now).

Other than being slightly thicker, the only things that keep me hopeful that Apple can squeeze things into a small tight package are:

-Decreased trackpad size (the space for the trackpad takes a decent chunk of space)
-Decreased battery size (smaller screen means they could probably use a smaller battery to pull off similar battery life)
-Optimizing the layout (this might be possible, as with the iMac G4s when they came out back then and in their later revisions Apple managed to make them a bit thinner)

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Zyphere
as with the iMac G5s
Corrected . The way they were able to get the iMacs thinner was by sacrificing user upgrade-ability. The old iMac G5s were beautiful inside, however the new one's are quite a mess, as it was probably easier to make it smaller not having to worry about what it looked like inside.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2006, 07:03 PM

Thanks for the correction.

Hmm, well, unlike the iMacs, notebook computers have traditionally had limited user upgrade-ability.. so I wonder if Apple will be able to do anything.

Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see. Apple's purchase of millions of LCDs mean that the new laptops should be rolling off the assembly line soon.. though that news is like a week old isn't it?
( Last edited by Zyphere; Apr 14, 2006 at 09:20 PM. )

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 17, 2006, 08:28 AM

Just type in an URL http://www.macbooklite.com, and guess what it is redirected to? Redirect to Apple store MacBook Pro page! I guess one of the laptop Apple will introduce (13" I presume) may be called MacBook Lite?

Tried http://www.macbook.com and http://www.macbookpro.com and other people have already taken those domain names.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 09:04 AM

macbooklite.com - no doubt someone has bought the domain to make people like you say 'ooo look macbooklite.com goes to Apple! natter natter rumour rumour blah'
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 10:38 AM

macbooklite.com is registered to a company called iDownload, not to Apple. Also, I can't imagine Apple's about to start using "Lite" for any products. They seem to like "Express" and "mini" for scaled-down versions of things (I think a Mac would have to get really really small before they called one a "nano").

But it still seems more obvious that they stuck "Pro" on the name of the current model so they could just leave it off for the more consumer-oriented one. I think they're holding on to the diminutive suffix in case they decide to build that subnotebook 5 of us here at MacNN keep clamoring for.

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2006, 01:46 PM

Mac Book Lite, now that would be something.

My best experience in terms of portability were Sony Vaio's, the T- and S-series in particular. Less than 2 kilo, great screen, really small. The only problem was the operating system....

So a 13" packed with EV-DO, 1280x720, less than 2 kilo, maybe even a external DVD and make make it around 1,5 kilo or 3 pounds, well, that would really be my favourite.....

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2006, 01:49 PM

By the way: who would put his or her money on the announcement this week of the 13" Mac Book (preferably Pro)???

I'm hoping, but I expect it to be a little later, since the iBook and the Powerbook 12" and 17" are still shipping within 24 hours...

May we have your votes please?

michaelb
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Frans
By the way: who would put his or her money on the announcement this week of the 13" Mac Book (preferably Pro)???
I vote tomorrow.

I know the rumor sites say it's unlikely without any special event invitations, etc, but tomorrow is the eve of Apple's financial quarter results, and it would be a good thing to give the analysts.

Plus, Apple hardly needs to invite journalists to get publicity: a new MacBook would automatically get splashed about everywhere.

scottmorgan42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 02:14 AM

Two stories recently published in past two weeks:
Intel to release 2.33 Ghz Core Duo processor in next six weeks
MacBook to be released by end of May (about six weeks)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that Apple just might be planning to upgrade the MBP's to 2, 2.16 and 2.33 bto, and intoducing the MacBook with 1.66 and 1.83 Core Duo's

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2006, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by scottmorgan42
Two stories recently published in past two weeks:
Intel to release 2.33 Ghz Core Duo processor in next six weeks
MacBook to be released by end of May (about six weeks)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce that Apple just might be planning to upgrade the MBP's to 2, 2.16 and 2.33 bto, and intoducing the MacBook with 1.66 and 1.83 Core Duo's
Also significant price drops on the Core Duos at the end of May (about $200 off the 2.0 price).

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by scottmorgan42
and intoducing the MacBook with 1.66 and 1.83 Core Duo's
Or maybe just a 1.66 CD, but offering different options to make two machines -like different GPU, superdrive etc etc

Forum Links
Forum Rules