Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Corrupted Ipod...

Corrupted Ipod...
Deliriou5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 11:56 PM

Whenever I plug in my Ipod Video (30GB) to my PC, it tells me the Ipod cannot be updated because the Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable. However, if I do plug it in, I can still listen to the music on it and see everything I put on it. I can listen to it, watch the videos on it and so on. But I cannot update anything on it at all. When I try the Ipod Updater, it says ivalid Ipod, service soon.

Does anyone know what is going on? My last on crashed all together on me and I REALLY dont want to reset or send it back to Macintosh because I have over 3000 and still adding from my library.

Any help would be usefull.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 08:03 AM

Something has ****ed over your iPod, and it was either Windows or that you simply unplugged it without ejecting it from iTunes (unless it's an actual hardware defect).

You HAVE TO restore it, or the problem will NOT go away.

By the way, the manufacturer is Apple. "Macintosh" is a brand of computer made by Apple. "iPod" is a brand of music player made by Apple.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 30, 2006, 09:31 AM

<joke>This is why it's important to raise your iPod correctly and keep it from running with a bad crowd.</joke> It had to be done.

Anyway, let's go through a few clarifications, shall we? If you simply do a complete restore, it will a) reformat the hard drive, b) reload the device's firmware, effectively the operating system of the iPod and c) prepare the iPod for correct operation. You WILL need to reload the music on the iPod, preferably from a non-corrupt machine; if you're using a Windows computer to do this, make DARN sure that you're also running a GOOD antivirus program and have that program scan the WHOLE computer NOW, before you even try to restore the iPod. It takes a particular level of skill to truly corrupt a Windows computer, so most of the time it's just some crapware you've picked up from visiting "something for nothing" sites.

Further, if the problem with the iPod is simply a goobered software installation, you can't really expect Apple to fix it. All they'll do is a restore, leaving the iPod with its factory state: good firmware and a Mac-specific drive format.

Finally, did you originally set this iPod up to work with Windows, or with a Mac? And have you been trying to update the contents with the SAME kind of computer (Windows or Mac) that it's set up for?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules