Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MacBook Pro Wireless connection

MacBook Pro Wireless connection
DAccord
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 04:25 PM

Dear All,
Hi, I hope you can help - I am a newbie and I have searched the forums and tried a few things but I haven't fixed my problem - and it seems a little different to the rest.
I have a Macbook pro Intel core due running Mac OS X version 10.4.9. I have a freebox router which should provide me with a wireless connection but it does not. I registered initially with WEP but I reconfigured after reading in various places that WPA was better. The only WPA option on my router is WPA (TKIP + AES) so I used this. I tried editing and recreating a new location, as well as trying WPA and WPA2 but nothing works. In fact after I tried to connect initially my Macbook doesn't even SEE my network anymore. However I can connect to my freebox effortlessly with an ethernet cable. But we need wireless as we have several computers to network.

In frustration I borrowed a friends wifi router: WGR614 v6 Netgear. When that is connected to my freebox (which is required to have the internet connection) he can easily connect to a wireless network he created. He has a Macbook.
When I try to connect to this wireless network, it worked on the first day but ever since it connects for less than a second and will not connect. I have tried deleting the location, renaming it etc etc. I get the same problems.
Interestingly I cannot connect to the netgear box with an ethernet cable for very long either before it crashes the network. We have to restart the netgear box. Also my connection through the netgear box is painfully slow.
What is the problem?
Please help, and many thanks

Shuraiken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2007, 11:02 PM

hope this can help...

1.Try to connect to the wireless network w/o using a security and check if its a stable connection and not intermittent. in some cases the reason why wireless connection fails w/ security is because the wireless is dropping.

2.Try to adjust the wireless settings on the wireless router.
>> wireless channelc, change the SSID, advanced wireless settings
- you may contact the router manufacturer

3.Do you have a third party firewall? sometimes firewall blocks/drops the wireless connection.

just post if you have tried the 3 steps. il research more for you..

Faun Hearst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2007, 10:29 PM

My 17 Mac Book Pro with 2 GB RAM, 100 GB HDD, drops our wireless Comcast cable broadband connection and cannot automatically reestablish the connection without recycling the RCA modem and the Linksys wireless G router. This happens several time a day and makes life miserable. The Mac Book Pro also has a running temp of 50+ degrees centegrade. Our cable provider has checked, rechecked and triple-checked and replaced everthing about our service and I am now convinced we have excellent cable service.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2007, 10:03 AM

To both DAccord and Faun Hearst, WELCOME!

There are two things that you should both do to get started. First, make sure your MBPs have the latest AirPort software and firmware. There were a number of wireless issues that people with Intel based Macs were reporting that were corrected by the latest update.

Second, if the software/firmware update doesn't fix the issue, in your AirPort setup, delete the location you're using and create a new one, or if you're using Automatic, just create a new one (go ahead and use all the default settings except I'd give the location a meaningful name). The location data can become corrupted or not be formed correctly in the first place, but creating a new location manually seems to fix the problem quite nicely.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules