Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > In a bind, need advice on refurb MBP.

In a bind, need advice on refurb MBP.
volcano
Senior User
Oct 24, 2006, 10:54 PM

Currently I'm typing on a friend's computer, because my refurbished 2GHz MacBook Pro is still on it's way. I ordered it last Thursday, I'm expecting it within a day or two, and now Apple decides to release the new MBP models with the faster Core 2 Duo processors today.

Questions:

1. Can I return my MBP when it arrives? How long will I have to do that?

2. Do I have to ship it back or can I just return it to my local Apple store? Is that possible?

3. If I can return it, I might just opt for the same model or a slightly upgraded refurbished unit again, because the base price for mine was $1699 and now they've dropped the prices down to $1449. That's a pretty darn good deal either way. Is that a good track to follow or should I just get the new model?

Any input would be appreciated. This was a lovely surprise -- I intially got online to check the status of my order and I haven't been online since last Thursay when I sold my iMac, and now this happens. Oh well, I knew it would happen sooner or later.. but now it looks like I'll be without a computer for an even longer period of time.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 11:02 PM

Why not just stick with the MBP you ordered? It's not like it has somehow become useless or something. And it's not like the Core 2 Duo model is going to be some incredibly better performer or something.

The one thing you might be able to argue though would be about the price change. I'm not sure if they'd adjust it or not.

I'm also not sure about the return policy; I thought I read that refurbs didn't have the same return policy as new models, but that might not be the case.

kylemacr
Oct 24, 2006, 11:07 PM

To be honest - I would ask them to reduce your price, or get a slightly better one. I believe you have 2 weeks.

The new models are a little better, and if you have specific use for them then go for it, but otherwise keep your money.

RETURN & REFUND POLICY
If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for Apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

1. Product that is custom configured to your specifications
2. Opened memory
3. Opened software*
4. Electronic software downloads
5. Personalized iPods
6. Software Up to Date Program Products (SW upgrades)
7. Apple Gift Cards

I think you have 2 weeks.

newmacuser2006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 11:47 PM

My wife and I purchased a new (old?) MacBook Pro Core Duo last Sunday from a local Apple dealer. (Nebraska Furnture Mart)

There was a sale by which we got 0% finacing so it was an attractive deal. The 17" model was $2715 there, so it was a good deal. No free printer but those printers are not great, I would rather have the discount.

I found out this morning that Apple released new Macs, so I stopped at the dealer and they refunded $306.02 including taxes.

That's a great deal, the MacBook Pro cost about $2425 at the new price.

I could return the Mac and get a C2D model, but I would wait until the reviews come out and see how hot they are.

My new Mac seems great to me and for a little bit at OWC I can get 2 GB of RAM to upgrade my 1 GB. They have a trade in option, the resulting cost would be about $200.00 Screen size is what I need, I don't see the value in 64 bit or apparent small speed bumps. The "normal" speed bump is around 7%, Apple is famous for pulling those numbers out. So I don't know that in my case I would really see 39% improvement. (I use the Mac as a terminal session and an Eclipse IDE.)

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 12:44 AM

I'll call Apple tomorrow to see what I can do.

I wouldn't be concerned, but the differences in prices with tax is $271. That's a lot of money a college student like me can't afford to throw around! But then again, I might just up the anty when I return it, use my student discount on a new MBP and pay $1799 for the base model... which would be $1947 with tax. With the refurb model I'm about to receive, I spent $1840 with tax. The $100 bump would be worth it, for the better processor, larger HD (120gb instead of 80gb), more RAM (1gb vs. 512mb), FW800, and DL Superdrive.

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 11:48 AM

So I just received the machine about 15 mintutes ago. Ugh.

I'll still call Apple to see what I can do. I think the 'upgrade' to the new models would be worth the hassle and the extra $100, but I hate the idea of having to go another week or so without a computer... it's been hard enough as is!

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 05:25 PM

Alright, here's the latest update:

I just called Apple, and the representative offered price protection for me. I was shocked, because I didn't think that refurbished products qualified... but the gentleman said Apple was prepared to credit $250 back on the card I paid with in order to make me a "happy customer." Should I just run with this?

Ugh! This isn't what I expected. I was expecting to a) pay the restocking fee b) order the new C2D MBP, and be done with it. Now this! With the $250 credit, it would be like purchasing the $1449 refurb on Apple's site... and that is a pretty good deal.

Argh!

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2006, 05:30 PM

If you are a student, the academic price of the entry level C2D should be $1799. I would rather get that with its better specs than a refurb. Just don't like the idea behind refurbs.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 05:31 PM

Honestly, yeah, I think I'd stick with it. $1449 is a pretty darned great deal when you think about it. Unless you see a specific problem with it, I think I'd be pretty happy to get a nice MBP for $1449. What I would do is use it for the next 6 months, and then perhaps see what new and fancy thing Apple comes out with in the Spring, and then flip it around and sell it if it is really desirable to you.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cottonsworth View Post
If you are a student, the academic price of the entry level C2D should be $1799. I would rather get that with its better specs than a refurb. Just don't like the idea behind refurbs.
Seem, I'm the opposite. I actually kind of love the idea of refurbs. Generally speaking, I've heard mostly excellent things about people's experiences with refurbs (anecdotal, I know). I like the idea that it's a machine that Apple has had to go through hands on to make sure it is fine, and re-sold.

-Elektrix

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Elektrix View Post
Seem, I'm the opposite. I actually kind of love the idea of refurbs. Generally speaking, I've heard mostly excellent things about people's experiences with refurbs (anecdotal, I know). I like the idea that it's a machine that Apple has had to go through hands on to make sure it is fine, and re-sold.

-Elektrix
This is actually my first refurb!

I was hestitant about it, but the price [at the time] was too good to pass up. I don't regret it so far... but I do miss the quintessential Apple box

I'm still thinking about it.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Elektrix View Post

-Elektrix
I have to tell you. I have bought nothing but apple refurbs since buying my Pismo direct in 2000. These include Dual G4 Power macs, ibooks, airport express units, ipods and they have all been rock solid. Not one issue.

I highly recommend to all my friends to go this route as saving money is usually a priority for them.

I frankly don't know if I'll ever buy a new apple product again...they are that good and the money saved is often quite significant.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
This is actually my first refurb!

I was hestitant about it, but the price [at the time] was too good to pass up. I don't regret it so far... but I do miss the quintessential Apple box

I'm still thinking about it.
I asked this question in another post but would love to get your feedback on your new refurbed MBP. I know you have not had it long, but can you comment on the following issues and whether or not your model exhibits any:

1. Whining or mooing
2. Excessive Heat in normal or "strenous" use (ie while gaming or video editting/encoding)
3. Does your model show a "new" battery - ie MBP had a battery recall. I would assume all products shipping from Apple now would have this fixed but would appreciate it verified.

PS...Putting aside the fact that Apple just annouced new MBPs how do you feel about your MBP purchase?

Thanks,
Dave

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2006, 11:47 AM

I bought a refurb MBP 2.0ghz 15.4inch NON-glossy 'bout 3 weeks ago. I'm about as happy as a clam! I have not experienced any of the whining or random shutdowns. It does get hot, but afaik, all notebook computers get hot. However, it doesn't get as hot as the 1st generation PowerBook G4 12" 867mhz model did.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rev2Liv View Post
I bought a refurb MBP 2.0ghz 15.4inch NON-glossy 'bout 3 weeks ago. I'm about as happy as a clam! I have not experienced any of the whining or random shutdowns. It does get hot, but afaik, all notebook computers get hot. However, it doesn't get as hot as the 1st generation PowerBook G4 12" 867mhz model did.
Thanks for the feedback...

Say more about hot.

Hot to the point that it is uncomfortable on your lap? Hot all the time?

Frankly I don't mind a little warmth. My ibook gets quite hot if it is running a DVD and I don't have it elevated a little so that there is a small space on the bottom to create a little airflow.

bcoutlander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 03:16 PM

I bought my refurb the day Apple announced the new MBP's and just received it today. I have no regrets at all about it either. I thought it was a great buy for$1600. It seems to run a little warm so far but like the other poster said no where near as hot as my RevA 12" PB did when I first got that one.
15.4 MBP 2.16 ghz 1GB 100GB HD
Retired: 12" RevA PBG4

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Oct 26, 2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by dpicardi View Post
I asked this question in another post but would love to get your feedback on your new refurbed MBP. I know you have not had it long, but can you comment on the following issues and whether or not your model exhibits any:

1. Whining or mooing
2. Excessive Heat in normal or "strenous" use (ie while gaming or video editting/encoding)
3. Does your model show a "new" battery - ie MBP had a battery recall. I would assume all products shipping from Apple now would have this fixed but would appreciate it verified.

PS...Putting aside the fact that Apple just annouced new MBPs how do you feel about your MBP purchase?

Thanks,
Dave
1. No whining or mooing, I'm quite happy with it in that respect.
2. Heat? Yes, this baby gets quite warm. Not to a "I need to get this thing off of my lap NOW" level, but I did make a comment to my roommate yesterday that I could feel my sperm count lowering as we speak. He chuckled. But my last laptop was a 1.33GHz 12" iBook G4, so I was a little spoiled when it came to low heat. It's within a respectable range temperature wise that I don't think it would merit a return in that manner.
3. Yes, it's a new battery.

Other things I've noticed:
The machine is pretty much perfect, but I did notice a few knicks here and there. Nothing to point where I'd be angry about it, but it's something that I observed. Also, some of the keys had a sticky residue on them for some unexplainable reason, but a little lovin' took that right off. The screen is perfect, no dead pixels, and I absolutely love the glossy screen.

I should also mention:
I decided to order a new Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro and return this model. I ordered it yesterday evening and I should have it sometime in the middle of next week. I'll be returning this one back to Apple either Monday or Tuesday. The dual-layer Superdrive, FW800, and the combination of more RAM/larger HD sold me in the end; it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 10:40 AM

Volcano,

Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly and honestly. (and for the good laugh...sperm count...lol)!

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 11:04 AM

Good choice volcano, I would have done the same. The draft-n wireless has some potential for use on campus maybe, and depending on your major the 64-bit could come in handy.

I went with the Core 2 Duo iMac over the MBP myself (mainly because of the 20" screen) just when school started and now I wish I would have saved a little more and purchased a MBP instead as they really do come in handy when you need to get some work done on campus between classes.

But... one question. Aren't you worried of dents and smashes? Do you bring your laptop to class? I can see myself getting a shiny new MBP then after its first day of real use I take it home only to discover I acquired a nasty dent somehow.

bcoutlander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
Good choice volcano, I would have done the same. The draft-n wireless has some potential for use on campus maybe, and depending on your major the 64-bit could come in handy.

But... one question. Aren't you worried of dents and smashes? Do you bring your laptop to class? I can see myself getting a shiny new MBP then after its first day of real use I take it home only to discover I acquired a nasty dent somehow.
I have to say I carried my 12" PB around for over 3 years, usually moved 3-5 times/day, and the only dent it ever got was when my wife dropped it about 3 feet onto a hardwood floor. It had several little scratches on it but those never affected how it ran and gave it some character, IMO anyway. That little PB was alot tougher than my friends' and co-workers' Dell and HP laptops which always seem to develop cracks or little chips in their cases.
15.4 MBP 2.16 ghz 1GB 100GB HD
Retired: 12" RevA PBG4

volcano  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
Not at all. My best friend still has a 1GHz G4 Titanium Poewrbook that she received as a gift in April 2003 before graduating high school... it has lasted her all throughout college and she took that sucker e v e r y w h e r e. One of the latches eventually snapped, but ironically enough it was her parents fault because they were passing it around to guests at a dinner party showing everyone photos. It did become scratched up and whatnot over the years, but that thing looks great for being nearly 4 years old.

Needless to say, I'm not worried. I had my iBook G4 from August 2005 until I sold it in March of 2006, and the buyer said it looked like I had just taken it out of the box. I take care of my equipment even though I do take things like this everywhere, and I invest in a good protective sleeve. Never had a problem and I doubt I will

deedar
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 01:08 PM

I bought a refurb MBP the day the new ones came out. I called apple, told them I wanted a new one insted and they let me return it, unopened - no problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules