Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard speed on a G5

Leopard speed on a G5
Ian_Bullock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 11:06 AM

Do you think upgrading to Leopard will give a speed increase on a dual 2.0Ghz G5 with 3GB ram? Or will they be focusing on the intel macs by now? I was just wondering whether the full support for 64-bit will finally realise the full potential of the 64 powerpc processors, or whether it's only the intel Xeons will see the benefit...

It's sad to be stuck in a technological cul-de-sac - but I still love my powermac - it's been so good to me so far!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2007, 11:15 AM

Apple - Mac OS X - Leopard Sneak Peek - 64-bit

Leopard will be fully 64-bit on both PowerPC and Intel, but 64-bit in itself does not get you a speed increase. And most apps will stay 32-bit anyway.

Some things will be better optimized which will make Leopard faster. Some features will be added which will make it slower. Overall I expect Leopard to be about the same speed as Tiger.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Feb 6, 2007, 11:16 AM

Every point update has revealed increases in performance, 10.5 will offer even more performance enhancements. The PPC has not been left behind. Don't worry.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 11:45 AM

Just my opinion, but I don't think Apple will go out of their way to make Leopard scream on PPC hardware. I'm guessing they are VERY focused on Intel hardware at this point and simply making sure that it works well on PPC.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the PPC version of Leopard is a bit faster than Tiger.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 06:39 PM

Leopard is faster on my G5.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Leopard is faster on my G5.
Wooohoooo! That's what I would have been betting on. Each version gets faster on the same hardware.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 12:56 AM

Tiger wasn't that much faster than Panther. Panther however gave a huge speed boost. I fear that the combination of running out of places to optimize and the focus on Intel won't yield much of a speed boost on G5s with Leopard.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules