Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Faster dvd burner?

Faster dvd burner?
glennk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 09:06 PM

Hey y'all:

All right...here's the deal. Apparently, my iMac 24" came with a dvd burner from Panasonic that writes at 8X on DVD-R. I want a FASTER drive!!!! But i'm having difficulty finding a 16X slot loading drive. I'm sure that internal would be faster than a 1394-A external burner running at 16x.

Thx!
Glenn

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2007, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by glennk View Post
I'm sure that internal would be faster than a 1394-A external burner running at 16x.
16x DVD is only 150Mbps, so FW400 or even USB2 can handle it just fine. And the non-slim, tray-loading drives tend to have better average burn speeds (remember you only hit 16x at the very outside of the disk) than the slim slot-loading drives. And it doesn't involve ripping apart your iMac.

glennk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 09:59 PM

Any recommendation for an external firewire dvd burner? There are many brands (Sony, LaCie, Plextor, Panasonic, etc...).

Forum Links
Forum Rules