Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook sub-notebook

MacBook sub-notebook
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 01:26 AM

Rumors say that Apple is readying a MacBook sub-notebook. This rumor just keeps on coming back every so often, but perhaps this time it'll actually come through.

Ironically, though I've been wanting a Mac sub-notebook for a long time now, I may have to opt against it if I go with my plan of using a MacBook as my main machine. Unless, of course, the CPU & graphics capabilities were on par with the MacBook. Then I could add my own external CD/DVD burner and use an external Firewire/USB 2.0 Hard Drive for more storage, thus creating my own Neo-Duo!

Oh, and if Apple re-introduced the Duos, well I might die of tech joy! But we'll see. Apple will probably see fit to price this above the 13.3" MacBook.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 01:44 AM

I'd order one the second they announced it.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 17, 2007, 02:00 AM

Well, I figured a "MacBook mini" would probably be comprable to Sony's TX-series of laptops primairly in actual dimentions, screen size, and, possibly, price. But I would expect Intel GMA instead of discrete graphics. If Sony can cram in an optical drive into such a small computer, I'm sure Apple can find a way to do it, too.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

TehBenneh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 06:13 AM

gawd... a sub 'book would be awesome... i mean i can already wander around the house with my 13.3 macbook in the palm of my hand, and typing with the other... but a smaller book would be awesome.

*shits his legs off in anticipation*

masugu
Senior User
Feb 22, 2007, 12:51 PM

OK....but now for the important question - what will it look like?

Black?
Silver?
White?
Two-toned?
Three-toned?
Mmmmm
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

~bash $
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2007, 01:31 PM

Do any of those sub-notebooks have dedicated graphics? Just curious ... either way I'd be interested in one. Portability - in theory that's what laptops are kind of for, right?

Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 08:11 PM

I haven't seen any ultra portables with dedicated graphics, but I don't see any problem with one having the same graphics chip as the MacBook. Not great, but pretty good compared to some.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 22, 2007, 09:39 PM

Personally, I'd want an orange aluminum MacBook mini with an 11-inch widescreen and a Duo-like dock. Integrated graphics are fine. Core 2 Duo, hopefully. Internal drive would be nice, too. If Sony can squeeze one in, surely Apple can.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Staren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2007, 10:53 PM

What is it with people and widescreen? I don't mind it so much in an entertainment or multimedia system, but I would not want one on a work laptop. More annoying then anything.

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 22, 2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Staren View Post
What is it with people and widescreen? I don't mind it so much in an entertainment or multimedia system, but I would not want one on a work laptop. More annoying then anything.
i think it is more productive to have a widescreen. you can work or view 2 documents at the same time, side by side. what i liked to do is put use "read mode" on microsoft office and read 2 pages of a document so i can get a feel on the flow of my documents. i don't like to have paragraphs or ideas to be split over 2 pages.

also, it is more comfortable to carry since it isn't as "tall." widescreen also allows more space for a comfortable keyboard, with possible speakers on the side (ala macbooks) or even on the windows 17" widescreens, some have a full size number pad, which can be a godsend when working with lots of numbers.

widescreen is superior, in my opinion.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Feb 23, 2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Staren View Post
I have an iBook and a Mac Mini hooked up to a widescreen monitor. While doing research assignments, I can have Firefox on one side and Word on the other side and I can see both windows clearly, while the iBook requires excessive alt-tabbing.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2007, 12:45 AM

if it comes out then, w00t!!!!
Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2007, 05:04 AM

If Apple would release a powerful sub I'd buy it immediately. I don't need an optical drive on the road and I can live with a 10" screen (at the desk I'd hook it up to a big ACD anyway), but I do need CPU and GPU power. If they release something with a GMA 950 and a CS or ULV CD I'd probably stick with 15" MBPs.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2007, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If they release something with a GMA 950 and a CS or ULV CD I'd probably stick with 15" MBPs.
Then you'll probably stick with your 15" MBPs, Simon.

I have a feeling this thing won't be sporting any dedicated graphics chip. It would involve adding bulk (since GMA is built into the board anyway), heat and raising the price point further to accommodate for it and Apple's profit margin.

Seriously, if this thing came out at $500 or less, I would try my best to get the funds for it-- even if I have to sell some of my stuff. But as unrealistic an expectation I think as dedicated graphics. So the way I see it, Apple has a great opportunity to amaze me and prove me wrong. So, go do it, Apple!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2007, 09:55 AM

I saw a patant on macnn that Apple filed for a patant for a CD drive that would eject like a CD player, with the top poping off (only on the bottom of the computer). I think that that would make the MacBook mini even thinner.
Signature depreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules