Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Toyota Prius fails Georgia emissions testing

Toyota Prius fails Georgia emissions testing
Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2007, 05:21 PM

Oops
The emissions test requires that a probe be placed in the vehicle's exhaust pipe to measure the particulates emitted while the engine is at idle or the use of OBD-II to test 1996 and newer vehicles. The problem is that the Prius doesn't exactly "idle." When the Prius is "on" and at a standstill, the internal combustion engine (ICE) is stopped. If the ICE is not running at a constant idle speed, the emission test cannot complete and the vehicle fails.

Owners must still pay the $25 testing fee for the aborted test even though all emissions tests centers across the state of Georgia know ahead of time that the vehicle will fail the test. Heather Abrams of the Georgia Environmental Protection Division says that the Prius must take the doomed test regardless so that the vehicle information can be put into the state's system. Owners must take their failed emissions certificate to a GCAF Waiver Center to get permission to receive a new tag or call in with the code number on the aborted test.
OK, I can forgive the test, but the government there is out to lunch on this one.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 05:26 PM

Wow. Bureaucracy at its worst.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Wow. Bureaucracy at its worst.
How dare you question our brilliant government!

[/UNCONTROLLABLE ANGER]

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 06:15 PM

Oh, that's just beautiful.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 16, 2007, 07:06 PM

I wouldn't pay it, and go to court. That's BS. It's one of the most fuel efficient (note I did not say most environmentally friendly) vehicles on the road, the fact that they fail it for the emissions testing is just stupid.

Also, FYI, if you have a subaru, you don't have to do emissions under load, since most places don't have AWD dynos. They just do a tailpipe sniff test at idle. Woot.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 07:10 PM

This makes perfect sense because the entire emission test program is pretty much just a revenue stream. There's really no reason to test any unmodded car made in the last decade.

If the emission test program was really about helping air quality, they would not be asking cars they KNOW are going to pass to drive many extra miles, then sit in a que and idle their engines. This creates more harmful emissions than the one-or two cars they may catch who are 'over the acceptable limit.'

If they made an exception for the Prius then they would have to make an exception for other cars that aren't likely to fail...which is most cars.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
This makes perfect sense because the entire emission test program is pretty much just a revenue stream. There's really no reason to test any unmodded car made in the last decade.

If the emission test program was really about helping air quality, they would not be asking cars they KNOW are going to pass to drive many extra miles, then sit in a que and idle their engines. This creates more harmful emissions than the one-or two cars they may catch who are 'over the acceptable limit.'

If they made an exception for the Prius then they would have to make an exception for other cars that aren't likely to fail...which is most cars.
Where I live (Ontario), the Prius is exempt from emissions testing. Nobody seems to complain.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2007, 08:45 PM

(Comment on how sharp Georgians are)

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
(Comment on how sharp Georgians are)
So either
1) you're too lazy to make a real joke or
2) the joke makes itself.

I think 2.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
Quoted for emphasis. It's just an smokescreen for an additional tax, not anything to do with emissions. Cars that have big emissions problems are usually pretty obvious anyway.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 11:19 AM

(Comment on how sharp Politicians are)
Fixed.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 11:20 AM

You fixed a joke, how helpful.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 11:20 AM

You fixed a joke, how pointless.
Fixed.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 11:25 AM

Maybe the joke needs worked on.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Maybe the joke needs worked on.
We'll I tried running the state required test on the joke. As this is one of those new "eco friendly low punchline jokes", there wasn't enough punchline for me to test I'm afraid the joke fails the test. Please pay $50 to the receptionist on the way out.
iGeek

Railroader
Banned
Apr 17, 2007, 03:50 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by mac-at-kearsarge View Post
We'll I tried running the state required test on the joke. As this is one of those new "eco friendly low punchline jokes", there wasn't enough punchline for me to test I'm afraid the joke fails the test. Please pay $50 to Jawbone on the way out.
Fixed your joke of a fixed joke.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I used to listen to that on Tuesday mornings on the way to my college class during high school. It was always funny, but the stupid commercial breaks would sometimes last the entire drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules