Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How hard it is to upgrade hard drive in C2D MBP?

How hard it is to upgrade hard drive in C2D MBP?
RickR
Baninated
May 26, 2007, 04:31 AM

I purchased a MacBook Pro Core2Duo last fall. I often max out my hard drive in systems and would have gone with 200 gigs but because of the lower speed chose 160 gigs. Well I'm down to only 25 gigs free already. I bought a external Lacie firewire drive which is 160 gigs. That solves my problem but I move my computer all around the house and also take it with me on business trips and the hard drive is just a extra item to carry. I've thought of offloading some rarely used software to it. But today I read how both Fujitsu and Western Digital have 250 gig hard drives coming out now that are mac compatible and 5400 rpm so it's so tempting!
My question, how hard it is to upgrade them? I've heard it isn't supposed to be done by a user but can be done. Will it void my warranty? I can't go without my laptop for long but if I went to a Apple store could they do it while I wait? Will they have these hard drive options available or can I take one of these drives in? I figured they have their own hard drives at a premium price.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2007, 11:19 PM

I have a mediocre answer (unfortunately). I have not tried to disassemble my MacBook Pro but I have taken apart the prior G4 aluminum powerbooks a number of times to upgrade hard drives/optical drives, and even replaced the power input board for a 12 incher (now that was a pain) and it is not to bad. I looks like the MBP would come apart in a similar fashion.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

ibook_steve
May 28, 2007, 02:09 AM

Check the guide at iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories and make your own determination.

Steve

richwig83
Mac Elite
May 28, 2007, 05:12 AM

I know this isnt much help but changing the HD on a MB is alot easier than doing it on a MBP.

I wonder why they didn't implicate the same slide-in-slide-out HD design (of the macbook) on both MB an MBP
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

amazing
Professional Poster
May 28, 2007, 10:29 AM

here's an article on upgrading the MBP HD:

Macworld: Mobile Mac: Upgrading the MacBook Pro's hard drive

Frankly, there's no way I'd chance voiding the AppleCare, but if you're very, very handy and you're sure that you'll "leave no trace behind" then it's up to you.

I'd say you're best option is to explore dumping some of the stuff you don't use, like perhaps the garageband files, etc. There's some threads on deleting unused resources (after backing them up) so you can do a search--and you can save a huge amount of space.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2007, 11:06 AM

The HDD is not a user-replaceable part so it would void your warranty.

This is how it's done.

If you're worried about doing it yourself you could try finding an AASP that is willing to install a new drive for you. That will cost something, but you won't be voiding your warranty.

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Looks like a cross between taking apart a 15" and a 17" HR PB to me. I have done both multiple times before. Should go for it. Just make sure you use a Torx when torx is indicated.
Cheers
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

Forum Links
Forum Rules