Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Philly Mayor waits for iPhone

Philly Mayor waits for iPhone
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 12:17 PM

for all of us that live here in the area this is a DISGRACE!!!

Mayor of Philadelphia waits in line for iPhone

The mayor of Philadelphia, John Street, was number three in line in his city as he waited to buy his own iPhone yesterday. Despite the 6PM launch of the product, Street was in line at 3:30AM, and sat waiting the entire day amid close media attention. While others in line cheered when he emerged from the store successful, some city residents were critical, noting that he may have delayed mayoral business.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2007, 12:47 PM

What duties did he have at 3:30am on a Saturday?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2007, 12:48 PM

Who cares that the mayor of Phila was waiting in line for a phone? Seriously! At least he was decent enough to sit in line for himself!
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2007, 04:41 PM

I also live in PA. He should have just driven down to Newark, Delaware (45 min from Phila.) to save himself the hassle. I waltzed right in to the Apple Store at Christiana Mall at 8pm Friday evening and was out 10 minutes later. No line, no fuss. And he would have saved the sales tax, too!
(yes, I do realize that the mayor of Philadelphia was not about to go to a different city to buy an iPhone to save on sales tax - but it is funny).

But, at least he was decent enough to wait in line himself, and not have one of his assistants do it.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
What duties did he have at 3:30am on a Saturday?
well it was Friday and a work day and city hall was open, his mayoral duties do not include shopping on the taxpayers time!

But, at least he was decent enough to wait in line himself, and not have one of his assistants do it.
not the point, and is just as bad if his assistants did it too but just less noticeable.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
well it was Friday and a work day and city hall was open, his mayoral duties do not include shopping on the taxpayers time!

not the point, and is just as bad if his assistants did it too but just less noticeable.
I'm pretty sure even the mayor of a major city is entitled to leave - both personal and vacation. So, he very well could have taken the day off. I'm quite certain the taxpayers did not pay for him to wait in line. I fail to understand why this is such a big deal.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I'm pretty sure even the mayor of a major city is entitled to leave - both personal and vacation. So, he very well could have taken the day off. I'm quite certain the taxpayers did not pay for him to wait in line. I fail to understand why this is such a big deal.
Amen.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post

So, going by your logic, no politician, or city official is allowed to wait in line for an iPhone? You must be joking. . . .
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2007, 10:46 PM

John Street is one of the worst mayors in Philadelphia's recent history. But I have no problem with him taking time-off to camp out for an iPhone. This is a complete non-issue. There's plenty of things to dislike him for, but this is not one of them. I say this not as an Apple enthusiast, but as a Philadelphian who voted against him twice. May he enjoy his iPhone in the long political exile that awaits him.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sourbook View Post
John Street is one of the worst mayors in Philadelphia's recent history. But I have no problem with him taking time-off to camp out for an iPhone. This is a complete non-issue. There's plenty of things to dislike him for, but this is not one of them. I say this not as an Apple enthusiast, but as a Philadelphian who voted against him twice. May he enjoy his iPhone in the long political exile that awaits him.

I'll agree with voting against him, that's for sure. And you're right, he has been horrible for Phila. I surely didn't vote for him!

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 11:46 PM

Hey, compared to getting caught smoking crack, this is small potatoes ;-)

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 12:38 AM

lol...i know I made too big a deal out of it but still get to work Mayor!! lol

Forum Links
Forum Rules