Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > The new PSP: HD, better display, and a cell phone?

The new PSP: HD, better display, and a cell phone?
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2007, 04:07 PM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 04:16 PM

Link

33% lighter, 19% slimmer case, TV Out, faster load times, better battery life. Out in September, black, silver or Star Wars white.

Wake me up when it gets modded .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2007, 05:46 PM

The PSP is getting more attractive. It's too bad Sony wasn't this aggressive at launch, because the DS ate their lunch. I'm a fan of Nintendo, but competition is always a good thing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 05:49 PM

And what's the price?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2007, 06:44 PM

So, basically, the PSPOne

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
And what's the price?
$199 for the new version, and I think it's $150 for the classic.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 11, 2007, 07:19 PM

lol mines on ebay uk atm, 4 days left i think, no bids

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Still too expensive for such a niche device.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2007, 08:00 AM

The question still remains.... does it beat the NDS + iPod/iPhone combo ? or is it trying to be jack-of-all-trades and master-of-none ?

Personally, the 2 biggest improvements are the battery life and the Tv-out. the latter should have been available from the begining imo and that would have granted the system more sales as a gaming and movie device, in fact ill go far as to say the lack of TV-Out on the PSP is what killed UMD as a movie format from a consumer perspective. Will it be enough to get more people to buy PSPs or is it too little too late ?.....not sure yet...but lets just say im a bit warry of buying any shares in SONY.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Sony mentioned the prices of the "special" color and Star Wars version (which come with extra stuff), but I didn't see any mention of the regular black PSP.

Are you saying the new black version is $150 (or are you talking about the old version)? That would be a good $20 discount over the old version, brining it to a $20 difference with the DS. This would be very nice indeed, but I am doubtful.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2007, 04:20 AM

From GameSpot:

The redesigned Piano Black PSP will make its way into the basic $169 Core pack this September. Sony will offer a $199 Ice Silver PSP in a new Daxter Entertainment Pack that includes Daxter, Family Guy, The Freakin' Sweet Collection on UMD, and a 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. Star Wars fans can wait an extra month to pick up a Star Wars Battlefront PSP Entertainment Pack on October, 9th. The limited edition package includes a copy of Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron and a ceramic-white PSP with an image of Darth Vader silk-screened on the back battery cover. Sony currently has no plans to release a ceramic white unit after the Star Wars edition sells out, but that can always change.
So, same price point, with a little more value and more options at higher price points.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2007, 04:36 PM

Awesome.. I'm in.
I think the PSP is superior to the DS. Just needs more games.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2007, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Awesome.. I'm in.
I think the PSP is superior to the DS. Just needs more games.
That really depends on your perspective. The PSP has its pros, but I'd say both systems really have different things to offer hardware and software-wise, which is a good thing.

Originally Posted by KisforKennedy View Post
I just don't get handheld gaming. If I'm not at home, I'd rather be talking to people or doing something. When do people use these things, generally? I only play games when I'm bored at home, at night, without anything else to do.
Well, at the dentist, doctor, on a car trip, an airplane or generally anytime that one is waiting without much else to do or anyone to really socialize with would be the prescribed times to play. But, honestly I find myself playing with my Wii DS late at night in bed.

A few other people have told me the same kind of thing; That they generally play the portable consoles at home. I guess they are more comfortable or more attractive to play with in certain situations, even at home. Come to think of it, I use my iBook much the same way sometimes.

Edit: The server is going wonky again. My post should have been after KisforKennedy's.

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 16, 2007, 12:00 AM

I just don't get handheld gaming. If I'm not at home, I'd rather be talking to people or doing something. When do people use these things, generally? I only play games when I'm bored at home, at night, without anything else to do.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2007, 12:42 AM

I'm much the same way. I own a PSP, and it has yet to leave my apartment with me. It's just comfortable to be able to play anywhere in the apartment: at my desk, on the couch, on my bed, etc. Plus, I often find myself preferring handheld games over traditional console games (by nature, they are easier to pick up and play for shorter periods of time).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules