Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > GSM Repeater?

GSM Repeater?
BKuchta
Jul 18, 2007, 12:04 AM

So my iPhone works great except for one thing... service in my house is horrible. There are some parts of my house where it works sometimes, and outside is fine. Does anyone have experience with or know of a device that will repeat the signal from outside? I found some results with a google search but no product reviews. I'd hate to drop some dough without knowing how well something might work. Any ideas?

Cold Warrior
Jul 18, 2007, 11:22 AM

The NY Times reviewed a product from wi-ex (Wireless Extenders - Home) back on November 30, 2006. The product is called zBoost Dual Band, and supports GSM & CDMA. It got a short but ok review, with the writer saying it gave him 4 bars in a previous dead zone (his basement, 1-2 bars normally).

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 09:10 PM

$399... Ouch!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BKuchta View Post
So my iPhone works great except for one thing... service in my house is horrible. There are some parts of my house where it works sometimes, and outside is fine. Does anyone have experience with or know of a device that will repeat the signal from outside? I found some results with a google search but no product reviews. I'd hate to drop some dough without knowing how well something might work. Any ideas?
My parents have one of these in their house - it's certainly effective, but it wasn't cheap. I think it may have even been more than the $399 one mentioned above - closer to $1k.

C

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2007, 07:03 PM

Good lord, they are charging a lot for those things. Really, service providers (like AT&T) should provide one of these for free to people that can't get good coverage in their homes. I know it'll never happen, but it should.

retroneo
Jul 22, 2007, 11:25 PM

Anyone want to bet that the 2008 AirPort Extreme station will include a HSDPA femtocell too?

Femtocells are supposed to be huge in 2008, even Google is getting in on it.

(A femtocell is a tiny 3G base station that you connect to the internet to give you more coverage and cheaper usage)

Of course the HSDPA iPhone will have to come out first...

Forum Links
Forum Rules