Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Parallels on Mac Mini

Parallels on Mac Mini
Grandpa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 10:15 AM

I need to get a dual os machine, but already have a decent monitor that I don't want to replace. If I were to buy a 1.66GHz mac mini, with 2Gb of Ram, would I be able to run windows on it, or would I need a more powerful machine to do this? I am planning to run autocad in the windows environment. Thank you.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 12:37 PM

Parallels depends more on RAM than on raw GHz so that mini with 2 GB RAM should be ok. That said, don't expect stellar performance on a $599 Mac. You're getting the slowest Core Duo Apple currently makes.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 12:41 PM

Bootcamp will be faster.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 1, 2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
I need to get a dual os machine, but already have a decent monitor that I don't want to replace. If I were to buy a 1.66GHz mac mini, with 2Gb of Ram, would I be able to run windows on it, or would I need a more powerful machine to do this? I am planning to run autocad in the windows environment. Thank you.
The any dual-core Mac with 2GB RAM should be fine for that. The only really limitation on the Mini is disk speed and video card, but for AutoCad, neither will make much of difference. You may also want to consider VMWare Fusion (similar to Parallels).

Miasis Dragon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
The any dual-core Mac with 2GB RAM should be fine for that. The only really limitation on the Mini is disk speed and video card, but for AutoCad, neither will make much of difference. You may also want to consider VMWare Fusion (similar to Parallels).
Has anyone tried Crossover? I understand that it isn't necessary to install Windows to use it.

Grandpa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 04:40 AM

Thank you for all of your advice everybody. It sounds like the mac mini will do what I need it to. Your help has been much appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules