Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New prospective Mac buyer, need some help

New prospective Mac buyer, need some help
Master Chief
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 04:04 PM

Hi everyone, I've just recently decided to buy a Mac, but I need help deciding on whether to get a normal G4 or a new iMac. I know a lot about PCs, but not about Macs, so I don't really know how to compare them. Besides monitor size and video card, is an 800 MHz high-end iMac the same as an 800 MHz single-processor G4?

Also, I know the iMacs come with a GeForce 2 video card. Can I custom order one to come with a GeForce 3/4?

I just want to make sure I buy a good Mac, because I don't want to regret not having bought a more expensive one a couple months down the line when I really understand Macs better.

MasterMinds, Inc.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 04:40 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. What to buy?

The new iMac doesn't have an upgradeable video card, meaning that you'll have the geforce2 until you finally give your iMac away in three or four years.

Personally, I'm going with the new iMac. It's just too cool looking, and the video card isn't that bad. I really only play quake, though.

Let us know your choice, and, of course, post pictures!

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2002, 04:56 PM

I'm interested to see some iMac/800 Mhz G4 performance comparisons too, if anyone has any.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 05:01 PM

the first place to check would be www.xlr8yourmac.com they are the benchmark heaven

if you have any other questions IM me.

AIM: gumby5647
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

fafnir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 05:29 PM

I just want to make sure I buy a good Mac, because I don't want to regret not having bought a more expensive one a couple months down the line when I really understand Macs better.[/QB]
The G4-Tower has some good advantages:
-you can upgrade it better
-You can use different and larger monitors
-it has a 133 Bus and L3-cache (-->faster)
-no waiting, it is shipped to you almost instantly

Of course the iMac has a really nice price. You can spend the money on extra-Ram (MacOS X is very memory hungry) or buy an iPod (Believe me, its a dreammachine!).

lb4runner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2002, 06:15 PM

You will not regret getting an iMac G4 800 unit even though it has only the G2 video. Unless you really want to expand in the next 2 to 3 years, iMac will do. If you are a PC hacker and want to deal with additional inernal drive upgrades, updated video cards, etc., consider the desktop. Then you have to get a monitor and give up the "cool" looks of iMac G4.

I have been using a iMac G3 500 MHz for 2 1/2 years and it is still has good performance (on OS X w/ 512 MB RAM, increased from the standard 128 MB, and a 30 GB external Firewire drive).

Do not see a big difference in performance of G3 iMac next to a 900 MHz Pentium III Win2000 system with the same amount of RAM and disk space.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2002, 06:25 PM

Comparison of iMac G4 800, PowerMac G4 733, and PowerMac G4 800: http://www.barefeats.com/pm04.html#analysis
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 09:16 PM

Performance issues aside, don't forget that the iMac comes with the SuperDrive, which is not an option on the 800 G4 tower, and it comes with a larger hard drive ($50 upgrade on the tower). I think the iMac is really a great value for the money.

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: BrunoBruin ]
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2002, 10:09 PM

What a great time to buy a Macintish! Actually, ANY time is a good time to buy a Macintosh! Good question Master Chief. Well, many people are thinking the same exact thing. For $1,299 you can buy a 733 Mhz low end G4 tower. The 733Mhz G4 tower is faster then the 800 Mhz G4 iMac. So if you are a speed freak, and already have a big CRT that's still good, then I would get the tower. That's if you don't need the DVD burner. If you want a DVD burner, and think the LCD screen is cool -->it is... then go with the G4 iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules