Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > choices of eyetv ? ! !

choices of eyetv ? ! !
eddie2369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 07:52 PM

I'm based in the UK, and I'm looking to get a eyetv for the imac which I will purchase in october.

However, I've checked the 'eyetv' webpage and found that there are many models to choose from.
All I need is to watch analogue/free-view channels and be-able to record the programs onto the imac.

Therefore, which model should I get?

P.S Does it have to connect the antenna that's included for it to work?

Thanks advance for your help.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2007, 07:35 AM

If by analogue channels, you simply mean 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5; then, they're all included in Freeview, and so all you need is a tuner that can receive Freeview. Fortunately, Elgato's cheapest EyeTV package does this; the EyeTV for DTT. If you really do need an analogue tuner as well (i.e. for a games console and/or VHS player), then the EyeTV Hybrid would be more suited to you. If you wish to be able to watch one channel while recording the other, then the EyeTV Diversity would better suite your needs (but, bear in mind that you'll need two antennas to make the best out of this feature).

You'd be hard-pushed to get anything using the included antenna/s (indoors, at least, anyway), unless you're in a very efficient area for Freeview reception. You're likely to need a full-sized aerial on your roof, outside. Although, you may strike lucky.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 10:21 AM

I second the Hybrid, the DVB guide it really cool, and you can set it to wake your mac up and record a specific program!!

Only problem i had with it is, they don't work well plugged into a usb hub, as it makes your mac wake up the instant it goes to sleep... a bit annoying!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Forum Links
Forum Rules