Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iSkin Keyboard cover and typing

iSkin Keyboard cover and typing
blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 05:30 PM

I am looking to buy a Macbook soon. I have always like the black one much better than the white one, but I am not willing to buy extra just for the black color. In various screenshot threads I have seen that white Macbooks with the black iSkin keyboard cover look even better to me. I was wondering how it feels to type on those covers. I can't believe that it would be the same typing feel as with a normal Macbook. Can anyone that has a Macbook with the keyboard cover elaborate?

tridentinecanon
Mar 20, 2008, 07:02 PM

Elaboration:

I have a clear iSkin on my 17". Love it.

- Keeps keyboard clean
- Easily washed
- Quieter typing
- Softer typing (feels softer)
- Backlit keys still shine through

One shortcoming: My wife's 15" PBG4 has an older iSkin that is contoured slightly different than my mine. Over two years, smudges in the shape of the keys have started to show up on her screen from touching the iSkin while the kid is closed. These easily wipe off, and could probably be avoided altogether with regular cleaning of the iSkin. This problem has not occurred on my MBP with the newer iSkin.

Another company to consider is zCover, which I have on my Apple Wireless Keyboard.

If there is an Apple Store nearby, I'm sure they'd let you open an iSkin or zCover package and test it out on one of their laptops.

While you're buying accessories, other cool things to consider are a Wrist Rug and Track Pad Film from POWER SUPPORT as well as a Speck Hard Shell Case or, if you're "into" leather, a U-Suit.

blackstar  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2008, 07:09 PM

hey thanks for the answer. I am not sure if Id like the softer typing. Good point though that I can try it at the Apple Store.

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2008, 10:59 AM

Just get it. The white macbook with black iSkin looks great - Like an old Titanium or a MacBook Air. I actually prefer typing on the iSkin, as the MacBook's keyboard isn't the greatest anyway.
The iSkin won't necessarily keep your keys from getting worn, but it might just save your MacBook in case of a coffee shop accident. It does seem to block airflow (for cooling) a bit, though.

I would also recommend an Invisible Shield (or Best Skins Ever) since the Macbooks are scratch-prone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules