Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD to FCS2?

DVD to FCS2?
cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2007, 01:26 AM

How do i get the video from my dvd camcorder into a file format compatible with final cut studio 2 that i have on my mac? Im planning on buying a HD camcorder soon but i have video of my sons first birthday on mini dvds. I already know about cinematize 2 pro, but i was wondering if there is any free work around since i just spent a lot of cash on fcs2 and xmas.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2007, 02:43 PM

I've never personally used one of these camcorders, but the latest Final Cut Pro update, 6.0.2, included native support for AVCHD.

If all else fails, you can try a freeware app called MPEG Streamclip to convert those clips into QuickTime movies. Then bring those movie files into FCS2.
I gotta have more cowbell.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Dec 20, 2007, 02:47 PM

You could try Handbrake. It can turn a VIDEO_TS file into several formats. I use it to put movies on my iphone.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
You could try Handbrake. It can turn a VIDEO_TS file into several formats. I use it to put movies on my iphone.
Handbrake is perfect for encoding to delivery formats. However, the question was asking how to get their footage into Final Cut Studio 2 for editing. MPEG4 and H.264 are delivery codecs which are not natively supported on a Final Cut Pro timeline. MOV files are supported, but Handbrake does not give an option to encode to MOV, where MPEG Streamclip does.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MRTrauffer View Post
I've never personally used one of these camcorders, but the latest Final Cut Pro update, 6.0.2, included native support for AVCHD.

If all else fails, you can try a freeware app called MPEG Streamclip to convert those clips into QuickTime movies. Then bring those movie files into FCS2.
I think I agree. If the DVD Camcorder records a format supported by FCS2, it may be as simple as a Firewire connection between the camera and your Mac.

If not. MPEG Streamclip is a great little app to do the conversions.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2007, 06:15 PM

Rip the DVD with MacTheRipper... I've heard FCP can take VIDEO_TS folders as input.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2007, 10:56 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I have downloaded MPEG Streamclip and will let everyone know how it goes after i get everything set up this weekend. It is such a headache teaching myself how to use FCS2! Hopefully by next month i will have a new sony hdr-fx1e or something of the likes. but until then i will have to try this out.
By any chance does anyone know of a website with tips and tutorials for FCS2 or are they all for profit?

Maureen Kane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 11:20 PM

I have a similar question: how to get old VHS tapes into imovie? That camcorder is long gone. I am tld I need a video capture device. Or that I can use a new camcorder as a pass through device: tape player to camcorder to computer. But then the player must have some way to communicate with the camera which must have a way of cmmunicating with the computer. Yes?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 05:59 PM

Maureen, there are many ways (some cheaper) but the Canopus ADVC 110 box is pretty nice for ingesting tapes.

ADVC110

Forum Links
Forum Rules