Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Warning: Disturbing Myspace Obsessed Kid.

Warning: Disturbing Myspace Obsessed Kid.
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2008, 11:17 AM

Watch this kid go crazy over Myspace! Very Strong Language!!! It's definitely one of the best videos I've seen in a while.

Apemanblues
Feb 22, 2008, 11:24 AM

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2008, 11:27 AM

If that’s real, that’s incredibly sad. Like the poster who was at the top when I watched it said, high school shoot-up in the making. Poor kid needs to get a grip on reality.

Actually, it’s pretty sad even if it’s not real.

Tiresias
Feb 22, 2008, 12:14 PM

Whatever his problem is, they're not helping. I almost felt sorry for the little sociopath.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2008, 12:16 PM

Poster child for birth control.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
It's definitely one of the best videos I've seen in a while.
You associate people being complete dicks with quality?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Whatever his problem is, they're not helping. I almost felt sorry for the little sociopath.
They caused the problem on purpose to film it. Unfortunately for that kid, his older brother is a complete asshole.

Tiresias
Feb 22, 2008, 12:40 PM

I agree. I don't see anything funny about the mental abuse of a child.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 12:41 PM

Not really. He was simply capturing for posterity or police evidence the kid's crazed behavior. How the maniac is allowed on a computer at all is beyond me. And It's not mental abuse. To say that was mental abuse is to cheapen the term. Besides, It's obvious the kid is the abusive one. He should get his account and hard drive erased, then sent to military school. That's a huge problem they've got on their hands.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 12:41 PM

I call fake. Older brother's dialogue is excessively cliched and it's a bit odd to film this.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 12:44 PM

Doesn't look fake to me.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
You associate people being complete dicks with quality?
I'm the youngest of 4. It was frustrating growing up.. I can feel his pain and I know where he is coming from... Maybe not as extreme as him but I know....

Cipher13
Feb 22, 2008, 12:57 PM

Abuse? The child obviously has a problem, and he'd react that way to *anything*. That conversation to a normal person would've yielded nothing like what was on that video. That's not abuse, it's sipmly the result of some mind****ed kid.

Fake or not, who cares, that's not the issue. Assume it's real.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I call fake. Older brother's dialogue is excessively cliched and it's a bit odd to film this.
You would be great on their message boards. It could be a rally car crashing into people and everyone says "FAKE!".

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 01:06 PM

I'm the youngest of 4. It was frustrating growing up.. I can feel his pain and I know where he is coming from... Maybe not as extreme as him but I know....
I'm sorry it was rough for you. I feel very bad for those who aren't close to their siblings.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 01:11 PM

You would be great on their message boards. It could be a rally car crashing into people and everyone says "FAKE!".
Yeah, because there aren't any staged videos on the Internet. I wonder what ever became of that Lonelygirl chick. I'm not saying this is definitely fake or that I have any proof or anything, but there's something about it that just feels kind of theatrical to me.

Also, I have seen a provably fake video of a car crashing into somebody, so yeah, I might say that as well.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2008, 01:13 PM

^^^ Whose message boards?

Abuse? The child obviously has a problem, and he'd react that way to *anything*. That conversation to a normal person would've yielded nothing like what was on that video. That's not abuse, it's sipmly the result of some mind****ed kid.
That’s exactly why it is abuse.

Slapping someone’s butt isn’t abuse, either, if you do it to someone who’s in full health. But if you do it to someone with a broken coccyx, it is. Pushing a glass of wine on any-old-body isn’t abuse. Pushing a glass of wine on an alcoholic desperately trying to stay sober is.

It’s not the conversation, slapping, or offering itself that makes it abuse; it’s the fact that it’s done to someone they know is in a position to react very strongly to it that makes it abuse. The fact that these idiots know full well how messed up the brother is and choose to taunt him and repeatedly push him over the edge because of it makes it mental abuse in my book.

Cipher13
Feb 22, 2008, 01:16 PM

Honestly, how are you supposed to act around people that unstable? Are you supposed to tip-toe around them hoping you don't set them off? Treat them like landmines? Great, then the real world hits them and they explode.

My point is their actions in this instance are relatively innocuous, and still the kid goes nuts.

I won't offer an alco a drink, but damned if I'll refrain from having one myself in their presence just because of their condition.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2008, 01:21 PM

Let's assume the video is real for the sake of argument. Is it being handled appropriately? [No]. Are they mentally abusing the kid? No, absolutely not. They may be pestering him by doing something that sets him off, but that's not mental "abuse." I have seen people subject and be subjected to real mental abuse. Light taunting is not mental abuse. Let's not debase the English language here. Besides, how is a person who reacts like that ever going to function in society? Go to school? Hold down a job? Have a social life?

At least Cipher and I agree.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 22, 2008 at 01:29 PM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2008, 01:23 PM

Honestly, how are you supposed to act around people that unstable? Are you supposed to tip-toe around them hoping you don't set them off? Treat them like landmines? Great, then the real world hits them and they explode.
No, not treat them like landmines, just be reasonable around them and don’t pick on the thing that makes them unstable, which is exactly what these three kids do.

My point is their actions in this instance are relatively innocuous, and still the kid goes nuts.
It’s fairly clear from the first few sentences in the kitchen that they’ve been at it for a while before they even start filming (or maybe they just edited the earlier bits out). Who knows how long? The brother was perhaps a lot calmer in the beginning, but if the bigger kids keep taunting him about deleting his MySpace profile and writing letters to all his online friends telling them God-knows-what for an hour or so and the kid is unstable as it is... no wonder he flips a diagonal cow.

Obviously the kid’s got issues with his MySpace obsession/dependence, but turning him into a joke and poking fun at the thing he attaches far too much importance to is a very poor and cruel way of dealing with it.

Is it being handled appropriately? Are they mentally abusing the kid? No, absolutely not. They may be pestering him by doing something that sets him off, but that's not mental "abuse." I have seen people subject and be subjected to real mental abuse. Light taunting is not mental abuse. Let's not debase the English language here. Besides, how is a person who reacts like that ever going to function in society? Go to school? Hold down a job? Have a social life?
Your point seems to be more about terms than anything. Okay, so it’s not mental abuse in any strict, medical sense (if it has one). What is it, then? It’s definitely not light taunting. Light taunting doesn’t go on for that long, nor does it have as its main objective to see how far you can drive the object of the taunting. Even severe taunting wouldn’t have that as its main objective. Taunting is “made in order to anger, wound, or provoke” someone (OS X dictionary definition), not pushing them over the edge.

Mental torture? No, too strong. Mind games? Not really, too simplistic for that. What, then? I can’t think of a better word to describe it than mental abuse, used loosely.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Feb 22, 2008, 01:32 PM

that was just annoying...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2008, 09:16 AM

I believe it's called "teasing".

That was sad.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
He should get his account and hard drive erased, then sent to military school.
Yes, guns will help.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Abuse? The child obviously has a problem, and he'd react that way to *anything*.
How can you say that? Something obviously occurred before the filming, and we have no idea what it was.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm sorry it was rough for you. I feel very bad for those who aren't close to their siblings.
I'm actually very close to all of my siblings. We're all in our twenties now. What I was talking about probably happened 10-14 years ago. And like I said it was definitely not as extreme most of it was brought on me by acting like the youngest sibling that I am.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2008, 04:55 PM

If it was staged: this kid needs help.
If it wasn't: this kids still needs help.

-t

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2008, 06:16 PM

REAL. IMHO.

Parents need to ban him from the internet until he's 18. Hopefully by that time he'll have developed offline friends, who he will meet hanging out in internet cafes.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules