Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > finder preferences resetting

finder preferences resetting
nowayride
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2008, 11:12 PM

3rd time this has happened. finder and all other apple apps (itunes, mail, etc) get completely restored to factory settings, my dock shows up default with ?s for a few of the apps. its getting freakin annoying spending an hour every time it happens restoring my system to how it use to be.

ive had problems shutting it off sometimes, theres a program that sometimes pops up and causes it t o hang right before it turns off, so i hold the power button down to power it off. my roommate has been using my computer too and he does what i showed him to do (if it doesnt shut off use power button). would this cause this problem or what.. this has never happened to me that i can remember, not this severe at least. it even wipes my mail account settings.

i think it might be ilok reset, but i cant figure out how to remove it. i guess i deleted the .app long ago but some automated files are surfacing now and looks like wrecking havoc.
Girls may come and go, but a guitar is forever.

ibook_steve
May 22, 2008, 01:13 AM

Boot up in Safe mode by holding shift during boot. Try removing the software then.

If it's really bad, you may need to do an archive & install of the OS.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
May 26, 2008, 07:33 PM

Does your roomate have his own account on your computer?

Forum Links
Forum Rules