Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Unlocked iPhone - live in 3 countries

Unlocked iPhone - live in 3 countries
Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2008, 09:28 AM

I had read that in Switzerland and Belgium, the iPhone was being sold unlocked. I was in Switzerland this past week and the swisscom shops told me that is not at all possible and the waiting list for an iPhone is 3 months or so.

Not sure about Belgium.

I live between the US, UAE and Czech Republic so getting a normal plan is pointless... I'll only use it 1/3 of the time and would not want to pay for roaming 8 months of the year... and I don't want to have to buy 3 phones.

Is there any legal, sanctioned way to get an unlocked phone? I'd be wiling to pay $1,000.

moep
Senior User
Aug 17, 2008, 10:07 AM

Yeah. Italy.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2008, 10:15 AM

Unlocked iPhones are available in Italy, France, and Belgium. Switzerland (Swisscom and Orange) only has locked iPhones. And yes, the unlocked iPhones are really expensive.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2008, 02:17 PM

I thought the French ones were locked to all of the current operators in France rather than really unlocked (as they are in Belgium/Italy).

Per Wikipedia, it sounds like you can get the iPhone unlocked by your carrier in Australia.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2008, 04:37 AM

Nope.

You can get SIM-unlocked iPhones in France that will work with any SIM card even non-French ones. You go to Orange France and get a contract-free iPhone. You then pay an additional €100 to get it SIM-unlocked. Six months after purchase this unlocking has to be done for free. The unlocked iPhone will then work with all SIM cards even outside of France.

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2008, 05:33 AM

So are the ones in Italy totally unlocked? Who is the carrier and where can I get one?

For Belgium, are they still locked to Belgium or can they be 100% unlocked?

I assume these are unlocked in such a way that software upgrades will not break or re-lock them, right?

From here, Italy is closer I think, but France may be easier to get to.

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2008, 05:33 AM

Also, can I take such a phone to the US and get a pay-as-you-go ATT plan for it?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2008, 06:15 AM

TIM has the SIM-unlocked version in Italy.

If you buy it as an unlocked device it will stay unlocked. Once the device is SIM unlocked you will be able to use any SIM including the AT&T PAYG.

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2008, 12:08 PM

Is supply a problem in Italy right now? Anyone know?

moep
Senior User
Aug 18, 2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Trygve View Post
Is supply a problem in Italy right now? Anyone know?
If supply was no problem, do you think phones would still sell on ebay for 1200€ (that’s just shy of $1800)?

The average waiting time is 2-3 weeks.
Oh, and buying from TIM requires you to have a “codice fiscale”, Vodafone does not.

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
If supply was no problem, do you think phones would still sell on ebay for 1200€ (that’s just shy of $1800)?

The average waiting time is 2-3 weeks.
Oh, and buying from TIM requires you to have a “codice fiscale”, Vodafone does not.
I assume a “codice fiscale” is an Italian tax ID number? So foreigners can't buy a phone with no plan and unlocked?

Are the ones from Vodafone unlocked as well? I am a developer but can't see having to buy three phones and 3 two year plans so I can have a phone.

Ohyeahz
Aug 19, 2008, 04:51 PM

Hey,

I'm from Belgium. Because of the law Apple HAD to sell the iPhone unlocked. Anyone from any country can come in Belgium and buy iPhones 100% unlocked. (That is if you can find one, LOL :-)
There is nothing to do to unlock. You leave the store with the box sealed. Updates don't harm, it stays unlocked. It has a - very - high price tho. 525€ and 615€ (I think it's the most expensive in the world!)

Cheers,
Arnaud

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2008, 05:02 PM

I have read that they are still locked to Belgian carriers. Do any shops have them in stock? I don't want to waste a trip to Belgium. I am only in Europe till the end of October, then gone til April.

Ohyeahz
Aug 19, 2008, 05:15 PM

Lie. They're not locked to ANY carrier at all. Shops don't have them in store. But It comes and go all the time.

There are 2 places to find'em. Mobistar centers (the carrier Apple has a contract with - iphone3g.mobistar.be) and Apple Resellers. Although Mobistar CAN'T force you to change carriers and sign with them they intimidate a lot ppl who just wanna stay with their own carrier because of low supplies.
They take pre-orders but it's way easier to get it from them if you're gonna sign. The other option is Apple Resellers, but they have less supply. And they're always out of stock. I guess you could maybe call some of'em to reserve one and come pick it when u're in Europe...

AR
www.macline.be (5-6 stores)
www.cami.be (1 store)

moep
Senior User
Aug 19, 2008, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trygve View Post
I assume a “codice fiscale” is an Italian tax ID number? So foreigners can't buy a phone with no plan and unlocked?

Are the ones from Vodafone unlocked as well? I am a developer but can't see having to buy three phones and 3 two year plans so I can have a phone.
It is a Tax ID number, yes, but every foreign person can get one by showing their passport. And there are other ways to get one. Hint: google

PS: yes, italian vodafone iphones are unlocked too.

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2008, 05:52 AM

What is supply like in Italy

Trygve  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2008, 07:19 AM

O2 in the Czech Republic says it will be unlocked:

http://www.cz.o2.com/osobni/en/telef...e_balicky.html

$850 for 16gb

They are staying open until midnight tomorrow so I'll be there to get one if they are truly unlocked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules