Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Show Obama/McCain some love

Show Obama/McCain some love
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2008, 02:18 PM

Let's all dig deep and express what we might like about the presidential candidate whom we do not support. Maybe this little exercise will help cool our minds off at the prospect of our party's loss in 08.

I think Obama has a good education policy, and good interpersonal skills to deal with the next PM (Cameron, of course). I also think that his flip-flopping at least indicates that he is willing to adopt more mainstream positions on economic issues (see his changing tune on off-shore drilling).

Now, can any of you find it within yourselves to admit that maybe there is something about McCain you might like? (Somehow I doubt it, but we'll find out)

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2008, 02:53 PM

Good thread Kerrigan.

McCain was probably my favorite of all the Republicans running for prez. If he wins, and if he can resist the forces that will pull him, he'll definitely be a break from the Bush years. He has opposed the standard Republican line on several of the issues that liberals like me find most egregious: Tax cuts for the rich, torture, I think he's been better on at least acknowledging that global warming is real, and maybe a few other things that I'm not recalling right now.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2008, 02:58 PM

I like the older "maverick" version of McCain that I hope might resurface if he is elected (and I hope this isn't wishful thinking). We don't need or want somebody firmly far right ideological, and I think McCain understands that very well in how he is trying to distance himself from Bush.

I don't agree with him on most issues, but I like his overall political approach the most out of who was running. I also hope that his negative campaigning was just an irregular week for him, because up until now it has been relatively civil.

I also like his hair.

Atomic Rooster
Aug 2, 2008, 04:52 PM

"Flip-flopping' is so ye olde.

And I think Obama's ears are funny. He has nice hair too but he should grow an 'afro' to cover those ears.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2008, 09:52 PM

I must admit that Obama's hair is nicer than McCain's, although McCain's is very nice.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2008, 10:07 PM

McCain has nice full lips, and pouty the way I like them.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2008, 02:03 AM

I like the way McCain doesn't talk about Jesus all the time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2008, 02:10 AM

Obama seems to have his heart in the right place.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2008, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Obama seems to have his heart in the right place.
In the center of his rib cage?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2008, 02:09 PM

Big Mac: that's what all crypto-Muslims want you to believe!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Big Mac: that's what all crypto-Muslims want you to believe!
Oh, thank you for correcting me on that point, then.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2008, 07:29 PM

I appreciate what Obama represents to the African-American community. I appreciate the energy he's brought back into politics and I hope this turns into more enthusiasm for policy.

This will open the door to black conservatism the likes of which we've not seen before.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules