Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Icon stamps - how to keep them?

Icon stamps - how to keep them?
kelso
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2008, 01:08 AM

I've been changing my icons for apps lately and they look quite nice. I have been having a problem though. Every time I receive mail, an message in iChat or Skype, the icon changes back or I get a blank application icon. Is there some way of keeping my new icon and have it work with the stamps?

Sorry if I'm not explaining this clearly. But when a download finishes with Transmission it usually shows a "1" on the icon and such is the same in mail. Instead I get this.

Thanks
( Last edited by kelso; Aug 6, 2008 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Giving more information)

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2008, 04:38 AM

I believe the icon designer has to expressly include an icon with a status badge for it to work.

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2008, 11:40 AM

The applications already have badges, like iChat. Ichat is all of a sudden working. But transmission and Skype are still messing up.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2008, 11:45 AM

I'm not sure how things work 10.5, but sometimes there is an internal .icns file within the application package that needs to be replaced to match.

However, if this was the case, in those situations (pre 10.5), the icon would simply revert when the badge appeared, rather than change to the generic app icon, so I'm left doubting this is the problem.

Edit: How did you replace the icons?

larkost
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2008, 12:17 PM

The icon that is used for an application "at rest" (not running) is the one included in the Resources folder. But when an application want to put on a "badge" then it has to make an image programatically and then composite the badge on top of that. So this does not have to have anything to do with .icns file. In fact it is harder to use the .icns file than something else like a TIFF. And every program can do this in its own manner.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2008, 12:20 PM

I see what you're talking about. The Mail app has both the .icns file and the TIFF in the resources folder.

kelso  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2008, 01:11 PM

am I going to have to make my own badges?

adc89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by kelso View Post
am I going to have to make my own badges?
Just replace both the .icns file and the tiff. The copy/paste method will only work as long as there is no badge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules