Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > my mac mini and its virus

my mac mini and its virus
samuslover0013
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2008, 11:37 PM

So I have a Mac mini for a desktop computer. it doesn't have the intel core duo and it's only a little over two? years old. I have the leopard OS working on it and I enjoy it quite a bit. However, this last weekend I was a given a file from a friend of mine who had used this file earlier. He has the not-quite-so-new-but-still-new macbook pro. when he had used the file it worked fine for him. However, when i went to use it, a virus attacked my computer and completely shut it down. Whenever I turn on my computer it cannot seem to bring up the login screen at all. I think it's because it has completely scrambled my harddrive. I don't know how to get into my computer and try to bring all my software back, if any of it at all. anyone have suggestions?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 01:20 AM

- So is yours a PowerPC Mac mini?, which version of Mac OS are you running there?.
- What about booting it up from your Mac OS X DVD disc? (I guess you have the one that came with the computer).
- Have you tried to start it up while holding down the Shift (uppercase/lowercase) key?.
- Or holding down P, R, Command, Option keys all at once until you hear the startup sound twice? (which is used in order to reset the PRAM).
- A Virus?, sounds weird. Can you provide more info about the file, name, kind of icon…?, what is supposed to do such file ('it worked fine for him') if you don't mind us asking of course, it may be an intel only app…

64stang06
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
- So is yours a PowerPC Mac mini?, which version of Mac OS are you running there?.
- What about booting it up from your Mac OS X DVD disc? (I guess you have the one that came with the computer).
- Have you tried to start it up while holding down the Shift (uppercase/lowercase) key?.
- Or holding down P, R, Command, Option keys all at once until you hear the startup sound twice? (which is used in order to reset the PRAM).
- A Virus?, sounds weird. Can you provide more info about the file, name, kind of icon…?, what is supposed to do such file ('it worked fine for him') if you don't mind us asking of course, it may be an intel only app…
Could be Core Solo Mini.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2008, 09:17 PM

Doubtful that it was a virus as there are no existing known ones for the Mac OS in the wild. More information would be helpful.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2008, 09:47 PM

I agree with everyone else that I see no reason to believe you had a virus. Your description is kind of vague, but it sounds like possibly a problem with your hard drive.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2008, 09:53 PM

It's a trap!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's a trap!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by samuslover0013 View Post
... a virus attacked my computer and completely shut it down.
Sorry, but this made me LOL.

-t

64stang06
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by samuslover0013 View Post
So I have a Mac mini for a desktop computer. it doesn't have the intel core duo and it's only a little over two? years old. I have the leopard OS working on it and I enjoy it quite a bit. However, this last weekend I was a given a file from a friend of mine who had used this file earlier. He has the not-quite-so-new-but-still-new macbook pro. when he had used the file it worked fine for him. However, when i went to use it, a virus attacked my computer and completely shut it down. Whenever I turn on my computer it cannot seem to bring up the login screen at all. I think it's because it has completely scrambled my harddrive. I don't know how to get into my computer and try to bring all my software back, if any of it at all. anyone have suggestions?
Quit baiting? 1st and only post in the forums so far...
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules