Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama`s brown shirts attack WGN to silence political speech!

Obama`s brown shirts attack WGN to silence political speech!
johnwk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2008, 05:21 PM

Has anyone seen THIS

SHUT UP, THEY EXPLAINED (AGAIN)
By Charlie Sykes
Story Created: Aug 28, 2008
Story Updated: Aug 28, 2008

Truly extraordinary story about the Obama campaign's attempt to intimidate and bully WGN into not airing a segment with writer Stanley Kurtz, who has been documenting Obama's ties to the unrepentant Weather Underground terrorist William Ayers.

Question is, is Obama’s Intimidation Tactics used to silence talk radio not a very good indication that if he were to get elected he will use the IRS, the Department of Justice, and any other government tool at his disposal to attack every media source and every individual which exposes his doings, and would especially use the force of government to mount a deadly attack on conservative talk show hosts such as Larry Elder, Ken Hamblin, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Michelle Malkin, Bill Bennet, Mark Levin, Chuck Baldwin and others?

I believe it’s quite clear that Obama has shown us he has something very much in common with book burners of the past. Do we really want this kind of person as the leader of the free world, one who has proven he will use resources which are at his disposal to silence political speech?

Obama’s orchestrated attempt to silence talk radio, as distinguished from Obama’s association with Billy the-bomb-maker Ayers, is a very big story in and of itself and needs to be front page news across the country!

JWK

Hey Joey tight-lips Biden, how do you feel about your running mate trying to shut down a talk radio show? Do you approve of Obama’s un-American strong arm tactics?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
Question is, is Obama’s Intimidation Tactics used to silence talk radio not a very good indication that if he were to get elected he will use the IRS, the Department of Justice, and any other government tool at his disposal to attack every media source and every individual which exposes his doings, and would especially use the force of government to mount a deadly attack on conservative talk show hosts such as Larry Elder, Ken Hamblin, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Michelle Malkin, Bill Bennet, Mark Levin, Chuck Baldwin and others?
No.

Next issue?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 05:38 PM

Hi?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 05:53 PM

Hey, this post says nothing about the IRS and their ability to levy taxes or the Constitutional issues that surround national tax policy. Are you branching out into griping about non tax-related issues? if you are.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2008, 07:08 PM

Considering that 75% of talk radio hosts are conservative, thats alot of silencing.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 11:31 PM

WHat I want to know is why in Hades in the OP's apostrophe really an ` ?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Considering that 75% of talk radio hosts are conservative, thats alot of silencing.
Well, considering that Obama wants to be president of the united States, why would he launch an electronic attack upon a radio talk show intended to prevent a guest from appearing on that show to express his views? Doesn’t seem very presidential to me since the president of the united States is supposed to support and defend political speech.

I would hope most people reading the thread are informed enough to know the intention for which the 1st Amendment was adopted ____ Congress shall make no law, etc., which is a prohibition placed upon Congress and not the people as they conduct their daily affairs. But the spirit in which the prohibition was placed upon Congress reflects the idea that attempting to squelch political speech is a repulsive act. Indeed, Obama has attempted to engage in this repulsive Act!

Let us remember that Obama or his selected surrogate was offered the opportunity to appear on the show and address/refute the views of Kurtz and who Obama asserts is a “slimy character assassin” “pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations”

I am sure it would have been very much in Obama’s favor to take WGN’s offer, go on the show and establish Kurtz is a “slimy character assassin” “pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations”, which Obama has asserted.

However, if Kurtz’s views are based upon ascertainable facts rather than fiction, it becomes self evident why WGN’s offer was rejected by Obama in favor of his orchestrated electronic attack upon WGN in an attempt to prevent Kurtz from appearing on the show.

Seems to me Obama has asserted Kurtz is a “slimy character assassin” “pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations”, but he chickens out when given the opportunity to confront Kurtz and back up his assertions.

How are we to find out the truth if Obama keeps calling Kurtz names instead of refuting what Kurtz has to say?

Regards,

JWK

Hey Joey tight-lips Biden, how do you feel about your running mate trying to shut down a talk radio show? Do you approve of Obama’s un-American strong arm tactics?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2008, 02:15 AM

It is worth remembering that John McCain has been no friend to the 1st Amendment, either.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2008, 03:11 AM

Ah yes. Stanley Kurtz. The same guy who came up with the Swift Boat attacks on Kerry. Now he's writing a book about Obama, which strangely enough came about after he was paid by the Republicans.

So I'm having a bit of trouble feeling sorry for the guy.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2008, 03:23 AM

Are you confusing Kurtz with John Corsi?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 11:28 AM

looks like Obama doesn't want it known that Michael Klonksy also worked at the Chicago Annenberg Challenge when he was the Chair
( Last edited by Chongo; Sep 6, 2008 at 04:33 PM. )
45/47

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
It is worth remembering that John McCain has been no friend to the 1st Amendment, either.
Noted and affirmed, but not to the extent that Obama has.

Why has the big media not reported Obama’s latest attempt to silence political expression and those who work to expose the real Obama?

JWK

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2008, 02:59 PM

What about the fauxpostrophe?!?!?!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2008, 03:51 PM

Are you confusing Kurtz with John Corsi?
That would be Jerome Corsi, I think. Still not Stanley Kurtz, though. (Kurtz did get in on the swift-boat attacks, but he wasn't the one who wrote the book.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Ah yes. Stanley Kurtz. The same guy who came up with the Swift Boat attacks on Kerry. Now he's writing a book about Obama, which strangely enough came about after he was paid by the Republicans.

So I'm having a bit of trouble feeling sorry for the guy.

This is not about feeling sorry for Kurtz. We are talking about Obama's actions ---- a person who wants to be the president of the united States--- urging his supporters to flood a talk show with emails and phone calls saying It is absolutely unacceptable that WGN would give a slimy character assassin like Kurtz time for his divisive, destructive ranting on our public airwaves

Here is the evidence:

August 28, 2008

In the next few hours, we have a crucial opportunity to fight one of the most cynical and offensive smears ever launched against Barack.

Tonight, WGN radio is giving right-wing hatchet man Stanley Kurtz a forum to air his baseless, fear-mongering terrorist smears. He's currently scheduled to spend a solid two-hour block from 9:00 to 11:00 p.m. pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations about Barack and University of Illinois professor William Ayers.

Tell WGN that by providing Kurtz with airtime, they are legitimizing baseless attacks from a smear-merchant and lowering the standards of political discourse.

Call into the "Extension 720" show with Milt Rosenberg at (312) 591-7200

(Show airs from 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. tonight)

Then report back on your call at http://my.barackobama.com/WGNstandards

Kurtz has been using his absurd TV appearances in an awkward and dishonest attempt to play the terrorism card. His current ploy is to embellish the relationship between Barack and Ayers.
Just last night on Fox News, Kurtz drastically exaggerated Barack's connection with Ayers by claiming Ayers had recruited Barack to the board of the Annenberg Challenge. That is completely false and has been disproved in numerous press accounts.

It is absolutely unacceptable that WGN would give a slimy character assassin like Kurtz time for his divisive, destructive ranting on our public airwaves. At the very least, they should offer sane, honest rebuttal to every one of Kurtz's lies.

Kurtz is scheduled to appear from 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. in the Chicago market.

Calling will only take a minute, and it will make a huge difference if we nip this smear in the bud. Confront Kurtz tonight before this goes any further:

http://my.barackobama.com/WGNstandards

Please forward this email to everyone you know who can make a call tonight.

Keep fighting the good fight,

Obama Action Wire

As I have been saying, Obama’s attempt to prevent a guest from appearing on the show is a very good indication that if he were to get elected he will use the IRS, the Department of Justice, and any other government tool at his disposal to attack every media source and every individual which exposes his doings, and would especially use the force of government to mount a deadly attack on conservative talk show hosts such as Larry Elder, Ken Hamblin, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Michelle Malkin, Bill Bennet, Mark Levin, Chuck Baldwin and others.

Why has the big media not reported Obama’s latest attempt to silence political speech and those who may be working to expose the real Obama?

JWK

Hey Joey tight lips Biden, how do you feel about your running mate trying to shut down a talk radio show? Do you approve of Obama’s un-American strong arm tactics?

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2008, 08:16 AM

Do we really want to elect a person to be president of the United States who has proven he will use available resources to suppress the political speech of those he disagrees with? Keep in mind the “force’ available to the President of the United States.

Obama's attack on political speech & WGN talk radio-the FACTS

FACT Milt Rosenberg who hosts a radio talk show on WGN had announced he was going to have Dr. Stanley Kurtz on his show, a journalist who has been writing a series of articles on Obama and, in particular, on Obama’s political activities while in Chicago.

FACT. Obama’s response was to use his political campaign mailing list to send an email to his supporters. The FULL TEXT of that emails is as follows, but omits that part which alleges “The Facts on Barack and William Ayers:”

August 28, 2008

In the next few hours, we have a crucial opportunity to fight one of the most cynical and offensive smears ever launched against Barack.

Tonight, WGN radio is giving right-wing hatchet man Stanley Kurtz a forum to air his baseless, fear-mongering terrorist smears. He's currently scheduled to spend a solid two-hour block from 9:00 to 11:00 p.m. pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations about Barack and University of Illinois professor William Ayers.

Tell WGN that by providing Kurtz with airtime, they are legitimizing baseless attacks from a smear-merchant and lowering the standards of political discourse.

Then report back on your call at Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Obama Action Wire

Kurtz has been using his absurd TV appearances in an awkward and dishonest attempt to play the terrorism card. His current ploy is to embellish the relationship between Barack and Ayers.
Just last night on Fox News, Kurtz drastically exaggerated Barack's connection with Ayers by claiming Ayers had recruited Barack to the board of the Annenberg Challenge. That is completely false and has been disproved in numerous press accounts.

It is absolutely unacceptable that WGN would give a slimy character assassin like Kurtz time for his divisive, destructive ranting on our public airwaves. At the very least, they should offer sane, honest rebuttal to every one of Kurtz's lies.

Kurtz is scheduled to appear from 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. in the Chicago market.

Calling will only take a minute, and it will make a huge difference if we nip this smear in the bud. Confront Kurtz tonight before this goes any further:

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In |Obama Action Wire

Obama Action Wire

Alleged Facts on Barack and William Ayers:[ here omitted]
[________END OF EMAIL__________]
FACT

There are a number of articles concerning the predictable events resulting from Obama‘s email attempting to prevent Dr. Kurtz from airing his political opinion on WGN.

ONE ACCOUNT

Caller after caller to WGN read off talking points provided them by the Obama campaign alleging that Dr. Kurtz, and by implication and sometimes directly, Milt Rosenberg, was “smearing” Barack Obama and finding Obama “guilty by association.” They also accused Kurtz of lying.

Yet, when pressed for specifics, these callers had none.

This gang of callers and emailers reminded me of the “turbas” - the street thugs organized by the Nicaraguan Sandinistas who would be deployed on a moment’s notice to harass independent trade unionists, human rights activists and government critics during the Sandinistas’ rule over Nicaragua in the 1980’s. Hugo Chavez in Venezuela - a favorite haunt of Bill Ayers and other “Progressives for Obama” - uses similar bodies in Caracas neighborhoods. ________ see: Obama/Ayers Update: Obama Campaign Unleashes “Turbas” on WGN Radio Host
ANOTHER ACCOUNT
SEE: Rev. Jeremiah Wright Is At It Again
Monday, September 01, 2008
By Brit Hume
Fox News

Intimidation Tactics?

The Obama campaign had its supporters confront WGN Radio in Chicago last week for having a critic of the Democratic presidential nominee on its air.

The Chicago Tribune reports Obama supporters besieged the station with thousands of phone calls and e-mails in an effort to force the cancellation of an interview with columnist Stanley Kurtz. The campaign e-mailed supporters saying: "WGN Radio is giving right-wing hatchet man Stanley Kurtz a forum to air his baseless, fear-mongering terrorist fears... pushing lies, distortions and manipulations about Barack and University of Illinois professor William Ayers."

A producer at WGN Radio said, "I got the feeling they were trying to intimidate us." It didn't work. The interview aired.

Kurtz — a Harvard PhD who is now a fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford — has written for The Wall Street Journal and The Weekly Standard. A recent article he wrote for The National Review drew the ire of the Obama campaign because it examined Obama's ties to Ayers, a 1960s and '70s terrorist leader whose followers — among other things — tried to blow up the U.S. Capitol.
ANOTHER ACCOUNT
--- see SHUT UP, THEY EXPLAINED (AGAIN)

By Charlie Sykes
Story Created: Aug 28, 2008
Story Updated: Aug 28, 2008
Truly extraordinary story about the Obama campaign's attempt to intimidate and bully WGN into not airing a segment with writer Stanley Kurtz, who has been documenting Obama's ties to the unrepentant Weather Underground terrorist William Ayers.
Last night Chicago's own Milt Rosenberg hosted Kurtz for the duration of his WGN 720 show. The Obama campaign declined Rosenberg's invitation to have a representative appear with Kurtz on the show. Rosenberg has made a podcast of the show available for download here.

JOHN adds: This is another in the series of near-daily "Democrats vs. Free Speech" stories. It is noteworthy that the Obama campaign's email to the candidate's acolytes says, "At the very least, they should offer sane, honest rebuttal to every one of Kurtz's lies," but fails to disclose that the radio station invited a representative of the campaign to appear on the show. Barack Obama hates debate, but loves bully-boy tactics.
BOTTOM LINE

Obama’s attempt to prevent a guest from appearing on a radio talk show to express his political opinions is a very good indication that if Obama were ever to get elected he will use the IRS, the Department of Justice, and any other government tool at his disposal to attack those individuals who may work to exposes his doings, and would especially use the force of government to mount a deadly attack on the political speech of conservative talk show hosts such as Larry Elder, Ken Hamblin, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Michelle Malkin, Bill Bennet, Mark Levin, Chuck Baldwin and others.

Heck, even Hillary supporters agree Obama’s strong arm tactics used on WGN are “unreal“ and “bully-boy tactics“.

Why has the “big media”[NBC, CBS, ABC CNN, MSNBC , The New York Times, The Washington Post, etc., ] not reported Obama’s attempt to silence political speech and those who work to expose the real Obama?

You can bet your bottom dollar if Sarah attempted to silence political speech our beloved big media would be all over it!

JWK

Hey Joey tight lips Biden, how do you feel about your running mate trying to shut down a talk radio show? Do you approve of Obama’s un-American strong arm tactics?
( Last edited by vmarks; Sep 10, 2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Please do not use the size tag.)

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by johnwk View Post
Here is the evidence:

As I have been saying, Obama’s attempt to prevent a guest from appearing on the show is a very good indication that if he were to get elected he will use the IRS, the Department of Justice, and any other government tool at his disposal to attack every media source and every individual which exposes his doings, and would especially use the force of government to mount a deadly attack on conservative talk show hosts such as Larry Elder, Ken Hamblin, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham, Glenn Beck, Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity, Michelle Malkin, Bill Bennet, Mark Levin, Chuck Baldwin and others.

Why has the big media not reported Obama’s latest attempt to silence political speech and those who may be working to expose the real Obama?

JWK

You don't know much about freedom of speech, do you? Besides, all of the names you've listed should be shown for what they are; mud-slinging, trash talking, knee-jerk reactionaries.............oh, wait, now I understand.

Have a nice life.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 10, 2008, 10:55 AM

You can bet your bottom dollar if Sarah attempted to silence political speech our beloved big media would be all over it!

JWK
Nonsense. They haven't been all over McCain's statements about the first amendment.
For McCain, First Amendment runs 2nd to campaign reform

By Tony Mauro
First Amendment Center legal correspondent

One in a series of articles on the First Amendment record and views of 2008 presidential candidates.

In April 2006, when Don Imus still roamed the airwaves, he asked Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., about the charge that his campaign-finance legislation violated the First Amendment.

McCain’s response was revealing. “I would rather have a clean government than one where quote 'First Amendment rights' are being respected that has become corrupt,” McCain said. “If I had my choice, I’d rather have the clean government.”

Let's be clear: if the MSM won't go after a candidate who uses scare-quotes around the First Amendment, and prefers clean government rather than political speech he dislikes, we can't expect that same MSM to go after others who fight political speech with more political speech (arguably the correct reaction.)

I cannot see how arming followers with talking points in order to fight speech with more speech leads to using the IRS to strong arm. The two are entirely separate.

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2008, 07:00 PM

JWK
Nonsense. They haven't been all over McCain's statements about the first amendment.
For McCain, First Amendment runs 2nd to campaign reform

By Tony Mauro
First Amendment Center legal correspondent
Pardon me, but my statement was in reference to Sarah, not McCain.

Prior to current events, McCain was one of the establishment’s big media [NBC, CBS, ABC CNN, MSNBC , The New York Times, The Washington Post, etc., ] champions of justice, especially with his “compassionate” open the borders thinking.

As I correctly stated, you can bet your bottom dollar if Sarah attempted to silence political speech as Obama has done, our beloved big media [NBC, CBS, ABC CNN, MSNBC , The New York Times, The Washington Post, etc., ] would be all over it!

BTW, during the presidential nomination debates I repeatedly spoke out against McCain’s assault on political speech with his McCain/Feingold campaign finance reform--- a proposal which would have silenced political speech sixty days prior to the election.

JWK

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
You don't know much about freedom of speech, do you? Besides, all of the names you've listed should be shown for what they are; mud-slinging, trash talking, knee-jerk reactionaries.............
Gee, that sounds like the Obama Action Wire :

August 28, 2008

Then report back on your call at Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Obama Action Wire

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In |Obama Action Wire

Obama Action Wire

Alleged Facts on Barack and William Ayers:[ here omitted]
[________END OF EMAIL__________]

Regards,

JWK

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 07:29 PM

Please read up on the American Constitution, the First Amendment of which allows what Obama's supporters are doing here.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Please read up on the American Constitution, the First Amendment of which allows what Obama's supporters are doing here.

Gee, I would hope most people reading the thread are informed enough to know the intention for which the 1st Amendment was adopted ____ Congress shall make no law, etc., which is a prohibition placed upon Congress and not the people as they conduct their daily affairs. But the spirit in which the prohibition was placed upon Congress reflects the idea that attempting to squelch political speech is a repulsive act. Indeed, Obama, who has taken an oath to support and defend the intentions and beliefs under which our Constitution was adopted, has attempted to engage in this repulsive Act!

Let us remember that Obama or his selected surrogate was offered the opportunity to appear on the show and address/refute the views of Kurtz and who Obama asserts is a “slimy character assassin” “pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations”

I am sure it would have been very much in Obama’s favor to take WGN’s offer, go on the show and establish Kurtz is a “slimy character assassin” “pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations”, which Obama has asserted.

However, if Kurtz’s views are based upon ascertainable facts rather than fiction, it becomes self evident why WGN’s offer was rejected by Obama in favor of his orchestrated electronic attack upon WGN in an attempt to prevent Kurtz from appearing on the show.

Seems to me Obama has asserted Kurtz is a “slimy character assassin” “pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations”, but he chickens out when given the opportunity to confront Kurtz and back up his assertions.

How are we to find out the truth if Obama keeps calling Kurtz names instead of refuting what Kurtz has to say?

BTW, are you suggesting that Kurtz is lying when he points out that Willie the-bomb-maker Ayers and his wife hosted meetings in their home to introduce Obama to neighbors during Obama’s first run for the Illinois Senate?

JWK

Hey Joey tight-lipd Biden, how do you feel about your running mate trying to shut down a talk radio show? Do you approve of Obama’s un-American strong arm tactics?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
He pops in here every few months or so, to remind us that he is an expert on the Constitution.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 01:56 AM

Guh?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Rumor
Sep 11, 2008, 02:37 AM

Abe-like but lacking mention of Islamic boogeymen.

I miss Abe.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 08:22 AM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 08:27 AM

I what I want to know is, how Joey tight-lipd Biden, feels about his running mate trying to shut down a talk radio show? Does he approve of Obama’s un-American strong arm tactics?

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 08:48 AM

First we had Billy Beer, now we have Obama Beer.

he Illinois senator is a local hero in his father's homeland, where a local beer has been named after him.
Correspondents say bottles of Senator are now referred to as "Obama" in honour of the Democratic party presidential hopeful.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7609872.stm

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2008, 09:03 AM

If you think that Obama’s attempt to shut down a radio talk show is insignificant and not a story which ought to be front page news, you may want to read JOHN FUND’S article in the Wall Street Journal:

Obama Should Come Clean On Ayers, Rezko And the Iraqi Billionaire

August 30, 2008; Page A11

Team Obama has launched an offensive against WGN, the Chicago Tribune's radio station, for interviewing Stanley Kurtz. Mr. Kurtz is a conservative writer who this week forced the University of Illinois to finally open its records on Sen. Obama's association with William Ayers, the unrepentant 1970s Weather Underground terrorist.

An Obama campaign email to supporters called Mr. Kurtz a "slimy character assassin" whose "divisive, destructive ranting" should be confronted. WGN producer Zack Christenson says the outpouring of negative calls and emails is "unprecedented." He also notes that it is curious -- because "we wanted the Obama campaign's take" on Mr. Kurtz's findings, but the campaign declined to put anyone on air.
Hopefully Fox News, perhaps Sean Hannity or Bill O’Reilly will do a show on Obama’s attack against WGN, intended to prevent WGN and Milt Rosenberg, the station’s host, from having Dr. Kurtz on as a guest who has been writing on Obama’s history in Chicago politics and his association with Billy the-bomb-maker Ayers.

Do we really want a person elected to be the President of the United States who is willing to use available resources to shut down the free exercise of political speech?

JWK

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2008, 09:26 AM

Hi John,

Please answer me this:

Is responding to speech you dislike with more speech appropriate?

Is that an acceptable remedy?

And, if it is, then is it appropriate to ask supporters to exercise their speech on your behalf to respond rather than showing up and speaking for yourself?

Perhaps it isn't desirable to do so. Perhaps it doesn't reflect well on Mr. Obama.

If the correct response to speech you dislike is to counter with more speech, than it seems to me that this response is not wrong. Is it making Mr. Obama look good? No. But it isn't wrong.

And nothing about this response indicates the conclusion you've leapt to, that a hypothetical President Obama would use the IRS to silence opponents.

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2008, 08:56 PM

Obama`s two faces, maybe three, and the fairness doctrine!

During the presidential primaries, Obama is reported as supporting the “Fairness Doctrine”, see Obama and free speech by Samuel Berkowitz, 2/7/08

"I hope Congress gets to work right away on reestablishing the Fairness Doctrine with the FCC. There needs to be balance on the airwaves again on radio as well as TV and cable."
More recently it was reported that :

"Sen. Obama does not support reimposing the Fairness Doctrine on broadcasters," Obama spokesman Michael Ortiz, said in an e-mail. "He considers this debate to be a distraction from the conversation we should be having about opening up the airwaves and modern communications to as many diverse viewpoints as possible." See: Will Democrats hush Rush?, Sunday, July 13, 2008, By Vivian Nereim, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
And now that we know Obama’s two positions on the fairness doctrine, let us take a look at Obama’s actions last month, intended to prevent WGN and Milt Rosenberg, the station’s host, from having Stanley Kurtz, a controversial guest on the show.

Obama’s actions were succinctly stated in The Wall Street Journal as follows:

Team Obama has launched an offensive against WGN, the Chicago Tribune's radio station, for interviewing Stanley Kurtz. Mr. Kurtz is a conservative writer who this week forced the University of Illinois to finally open its records on Sen. Obama's association with William Ayers, the unrepentant 1970s Weather Underground terrorist.

An Obama campaign email to supporters called Mr. Kurtz a "slimy character assassin" whose "divisive, destructive ranting" should be confronted. WGN producer Zack Christenson says the outpouring of negative calls and emails is "unprecedented." He also notes that it is curious -- because "we wanted the Obama campaign's take" on Mr. Kurtz's findings, but the campaign declined to put anyone on air.____ See: JOHN FUND’S article Obama Should Come Clean On Ayers, Rezko And the Iraqi Billionaire August 30, 2008; Page A11, Wall Street Journal
I thought the fairness doctrine was all about both sides being aired, and not a concerted attempt by one side to silence political speech.

Obama’s actions were also reported by Fox News. SEE:
Rev. Jeremiah Wright Is At It Again

Monday, September 01, 2008
By Brit Hume
Fox News

Intimidation Tactics?
The Obama campaign had its supporters confront WGN Radio in Chicago last week for having a critic of the Democratic presidential nominee on its air.

The Chicago Tribune reports Obama supporters besieged the station with thousands of phone calls and e-mails in an effort to force the cancellation of an interview with columnist Stanley Kurtz. The campaign e-mailed supporters saying: "WGN Radio is giving right-wing hatchet man Stanley Kurtz a forum to air his baseless, fear-mongering terrorist fears... pushing lies, distortions and manipulations about Barack and University of Illinois professor William Ayers."

A producer at WGN Radio said, "I got the feeling they were trying to intimidate us." It didn't work. The interview aired.

Kurtz — a Harvard PhD who is now a fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford — has written for The Wall Street Journal and The Weekly Standard. A recent article he wrote for The National Review drew the ire of the Obama campaign because it examined Obama's ties to Ayers, a 1960s and '70s terrorist leader whose followers — among other things — tried to blow up the U.S. Capitol.

But the most chilling report of Obama’s actions were reported as follows:

Caller after caller to WGN read off talking points provided them by the Obama campaign alleging that Dr. Kurtz, and by implication and sometimes directly, Milt Rosenberg, was “smearing” Barack Obama and finding Obama “guilty by association.” They also accused Kurtz of lying.

Yet, when pressed for specifics, these callers had none.

This gang of callers and emailers reminded me of the “turbas” - the street thugs organized by the Nicaraguan Sandinistas who would be deployed on a moment’s notice to harass independent trade unionists, human rights activists and government critics during the Sandinistas’ rule over Nicaragua in the 1980’s. Hugo Chavez in Venezuela - a favorite haunt of Bill Ayers and other “Progressives for Obama” - uses similar bodies in Caracas neighborhoods. ________ see: Obama/Ayers Update: Obama Campaign Unleashes “Turbas” on WGN Radio Host
So tell us Mr. Obama, should we judge you by what you say or by your actions and deeds, or, perhaps you have a third face to speak out of when confronted with your actions, deeds, and what you have already said?

Why has the establishment media [NBC, CBS, ABC CNN, MSNBC , The New York Times, The Washington Post, etc., ] not reported Obama’s attempt to silence political speech ?

JWK

johnwk  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2008, 05:26 PM

Well, Obama’s "Action Wire" is at it again, and very much determined to silence political speech. See: WGN-AM again target of Obama campaign

It is the second time in recent weeks the station has been the target of an "Obama Action Wire" alert to supporters of the Illinois Democrat.

Monday night's target was David Freddoso, who the campaign said was scheduled to be on the station from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. Chicago time.

"The author of the latest anti-Barack hit book is appearing on WGN Radio in the Chicagoland market tonight, and your help is urgently needed to make sure his baseless lies don't gain credibility," an e-mail sent Monday evening to Obama supporters reads.

"David Freddoso has made a career off dishonest, extreme hate mongering," the message said. "And WGN apparently thinks this card-carrying member of the right-wing smear machine needs a bigger platform for his lies and smears about Barack Obama -- on the public airwaves."
Why has the establishment big media [NBC, CBS, ABC CNN, MSNBC , The New York Times, The Washington Post, etc., ] not reported Obama’s latest attempt to silence political speech?

JWK

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 12:16 PM

The "Truth Squad" has moved on to Missouri.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIenDGSAdPA

And the Missouri Governor responds
http://governor.mo.gov/cgi-bin/coran...&tmpl=newsitem
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Gov. Blunt Statement on Obama Campaign’s Abusive Use of Missouri Law Enforcement

JEFFERSON CITY - Gov. Matt Blunt today issued the following statement on news reports that have exposed plans by U.S. Senator Barack Obama to use Missouri law enforcement to threaten and intimidate his critics.

“St. Louis County Circuit Attorney Bob McCulloch, St. Louis City Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce, Jefferson County Sheriff Glenn Boyer, and Obama and the leader of his Missouri campaign Senator Claire McCaskill have attached the stench of police state tactics to the Obama-Biden campaign.

“What Senator Obama and his helpers are doing is scandalous beyond words, the party that claims to be the party of Thomas Jefferson is abusing the justice system and offices of public trust to silence political criticism with threats of prosecution and criminal punishment.

“This abuse of the law for intimidation insults the most sacred principles and ideals of Jefferson. I can think of nothing more offensive to Jefferson’s thinking than using the power of the state to deprive Americans of their civil rights. The only conceivable purpose of Messrs. McCulloch, Obama and the others is to frighten people away from expressing themselves, to chill free and open debate, to suppress support and donations to conservative organizations targeted by this anti-civil rights, to strangle criticism of Mr. Obama, to suppress ads about his support of higher taxes, and to choke out criticism on television, radio, the Internet, blogs, e-mail and daily conversation about the election.

“Barack Obama needs to grow up. Leftist blogs and others in the press constantly say false things about me and my family. Usually, we ignore false and scurrilous accusations because the purveyors have no credibility. When necessary, we refute them. Enlisting Missouri law enforcement to intimidate people and kill free debate is reminiscent of the Sedition Acts - not a free society.”
What is the legality of this? Are they getting paid? I understand that Senators, Governors, and other elected officials stump for the candidates, but that is unpaid, as are the Honorary Campaign chairs.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 12:49 PM

We can ask McCain:

Originally Posted by Washington Post
The South Carolina contingent -- which will issue statements to voters as well as be available to comment to the media -- will include... Attorney General Henry McMaster... and Seventh Circuit Solicitor Trey Gowdy.

McCain Ready to Truth-Squad

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 12:19 PM

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/
Jerome Corsi was deported by Kenyan officials just prior to the start of a press conference on his investigation into O' Bama's ties to Kenya. He will report his findings when he arrives in London.
45/47

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 01:14 PM

worldnetdaily =

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
worldnetdaily =
Here ya go http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...,00.html?imw=Y
45/47

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Jerome Corsi =

Forum Links
Forum Rules