Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is my optical drive dying?

Is my optical drive dying?
Buck_W
Senior User
Oct 18, 2008, 01:57 PM

When I pop up DVD into my PowerBook, more often than not now, it will not mount. Instead, the drive emits a kind of "whine" that sounds like it is attempting to spin, but is unable to. It last for approximately 20 seconds or so, stops, starts again. The process continues several times before the DVD is ejected.

On the other hand, if I pop an audio CD into the drive, iTunes automatically opens right up and the audio CD plays normally. I am still able to copy CD's, which I do on a regular basis (sermon CD's - approximately 5-10 every week using Toast).

If the optical drive is failing, wouldn't the problem present on both CD's and DVD's?

The laptop is about 37 months old and the extended Apple Care ended last month unfortunately
( Last edited by Buck_W; Oct 18, 2008 at 03:41 PM. )
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2008, 04:42 PM

Sounds like it's having trouble with some formats of DVD, either -R or +R (or even RW discs, which suck big time anyway) Try keeping a tab on which format gives the most problems. The DVD drive in my MacBook does this from time to time and it's not died yet. It's annoying but it's not likely a terminal symptom.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Oct 20, 2008, 10:58 PM

Unfortunately, the problem occurs with DVD's I rent from the video store. Sometimes they will play without a hitch, other times. . . all I get is the problem. I hope it's not the optical drive, but I'm concerned that it is. How would it be possible to find out, without taking it in for repair? Do you think it's possible that the laser is dirty? If so, can it be cleaned?

nickw311
Senior User
Oct 21, 2008, 10:27 AM

Sounds to me like yours is going out.

I had a similar problem but mine started with the CD burner. It started to refuse to recognize blank CDs and then moved on to not recognizing blank DVDs. When I put in movie DVDs it would usually read them but took a long time before it would mount.

I ended up having the drive replaced last week through AppleCare and it's working fine.
27" iMac C2D

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Oct 22, 2008, 11:21 PM

I've been checking out some optical drives online and have run across these two:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Apple-...4-p-16592.html

http://www.ifixit.com/PowerBook-Part...rive/IF153-092

Does anybody have an educated opinion about either one. . . or another recommendation?

Forum Links
Forum Rules