Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ten SPAMS at once ! Solution ?

Ten SPAMS at once ! Solution ?
MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 09:45 PM

My RSS feed showed at least 10 SPAMS 1am UK time. All from same web / email address, company

It usually takes a while for these to be noticed and deleted.

My RSS feed of MacNN forum shows them almost immediately.

It's nearly always similar times of day, I think.

How do Mods know unless they are reported, do they monitor every post, or new thread.

If not, why not monitor RSS feed every minute, which will report new threads for immediate deletion ?

The latest round would I think have all come from the same IP address too.

Auto notification, especially of new members, with time delay for new members posting ?

If there's a mod there to respond to SPAM reports, why not just respond to delayed monitored first postings ?

I'm sure no first posting is so important it needs to be posted immediately.
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Feb 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Cold Warrior
Feb 25, 2009, 10:02 PM

The RSS feed often has a delay from when a thread is actually posted. Through a number of techniques -- RSS, spam reports, and frequent checks -- we can usually stay on top of the spam problem. It's also very abnormal for a single spammer to post as much as this one did.

Time delay (manual moderation and approval) has been brought up before but not enacted, mostly because it's more trouble than it's worth and is detrimental to new members posting for help and discussion.

MacNNUK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The RSS feed often has a delay from when a thread is actually posted. Through a number of techniques -- RSS, spam reports, and frequent checks -- we can usually stay on top of the spam problem. It's also very abnormal for a single spammer to post as much as this one did.

Time delay (manual moderation and approval) has been brought up before but not enacted, mostly because it's more trouble than it's worth and is detrimental to new members posting for help and discussion.
Understood, that's one reason I suggest first post moderation, to stop the RSS notifications of spam.

Once the RSS feed is produced, it means the spammer still gets his message across, even if the post is deleted within MacNN.

So the spam may not be visible within MacNN forum, but can still be annoying on the RSS notification no doubt many members use.

I use NetNewsWire and can read the full posts (all 10 in this case) even after MacNN deletion.

Do you have a big red flashing light and a bell (or klaxon) when spam is reported ?
( Last edited by MacNNUK; Feb 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM. )

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Cold Warrior
Feb 25, 2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post
Understood, that's one reason I suggest first post moderation, to stop the RSS notifications of spam.
Which brings me back to my first point.
Do you have a big red flashing light and a bell when spam is reported ?
We get email notification for reports in the forums we're assigned to mod.

Forum Links
Forum Rules