Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G touchscreen problem

iPhone 3G touchscreen problem
Muffiee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2010, 05:34 PM

Hi guys,

I have a problem, I bought a used iPhone 3G off ebay for £220 ($280?) which was stated in excellent working condition, however when I received it half of the touchscreen will not work.

After contacting the seller he refused that there was a problem with it when he sent it out and that I was trying to scam him, any way long story short I couldn't get a refund and am now stuck with trying to fix this.

I have scoured all over google and found it was most probably the digitiser, so I bought a new replacement screen+digitiser and followed the guide on replacing it.

After replacing it still has the same problem, the bottom half of the touchscreen will not respond to touch yet the top half will, so this rules out the digitiser.

I'm really not sure where to go from here, please can someone help me on fixing this problem as I'd hate to think I paid all that money for a brick.

Any help you can give will be invaluable.

Regards,

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2010, 05:51 PM

We replace iPhone screens and digitizers in my shop. I have found that we get a fairly hefty percentage of DOA digitizers.

The fact that it's the exact same problem is troubling, though. If it's not the digitizer, it's probably the logic board.

I assume you've triple-checked the connectors?

Muffiee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2010, 07:44 PM

Tried giving the connectors a clean and reseating but didn't have any effect.

I think it's either connector 3 or 2 which transfers information from the digitiser?

Took a few pictures to how the inside of it, dosen't look damaged to me

With connector 3 attached:
( Last edited by Muffiee; Jun 19, 2010 at 07:56 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules