Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Grep: science fiction reference? Help!

Grep: science fiction reference? Help!
hart
Senior User
Aug 30, 2010, 01:25 PM

OK it's driving me crazy so I thought I'd see if anyone can solve this question for me. I googled this and all I come up with is command line references.

What classic science fiction book uses the word "grep" or something similar to describe some act of communication I think. Possibly has a sexual element? I can't remember for sure.

This dates from something I read in maybe as far back as the 70's. That's 1970's. And I'm pretty sure it was some major author like Heinlein.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 30, 2010, 01:40 PM

The word you're thinking of is "grok" invented by Heinlein in 'Stranger in a strange land'.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 02:11 PM

grep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Grep was created by Ken Thompson as a standalone application adapted from the regular expression parser he had written for the ed editor (which he also created). The name grep comes from the ed editor command it simulated, g/re/p (global regular expression print).[2] Its official date of creation is given as March 3,1973 in the Manual for Unix Version 4."

hart  (op)
Senior User
Aug 30, 2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The word you're thinking of is "grok" invented by Heinlein in 'Stranger in a strange land'.
Thank you so much. This was driving me crazy! I knew it probably wasn't grep but it dated from the same era so it was possible old nerd-speak of some sort.

Now maybe I have to go and read the book again. Revisit my childhood Or at least adolescence.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2010, 03:47 PM

Frak the frillin groker.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

P
Aug 30, 2010, 04:42 PM

"Grok" means "to understand something fully", roughly speaking. It isn't sexual, although the main character in that book also has certain non-traditional views on sex.

Great book, by the way, but "The moon is a harsh mistress" is way better.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 30, 2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
"Grok" means "to understand something fully", roughly speaking. It isn't sexual, although the main character in that book also has certain non-traditional views on sex.

Great book, by the way, but "The moon is a harsh mistress" is way better.
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a lot less ambiguous and puzzling than Stranger. Of all of Heinlien's novels, Stranger is the most challenging for me. Moon is always a good read, though the end always gets me.

Anyway, "grok" goes beyond common ideas of "understand." It is zen-like, with the "grocker" becoming that which is groked. It is a very strong, and very involved concept.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2010, 11:40 PM

The real Grok is now 11.5 years old.

Yesterday I explained it to Grok, my 4.5 year old son.
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...k/#post1545090
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules