Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Compression

Compression
KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Nov 17, 2001, 01:36 PM

Does anyone know how I can make my short film small enough to play on the net while retaining high quality. I've tried various settings in Premiere but the video keeps coming out to large (around 100Mbs at low res). I don't want it to be the resolution to be too small because there are subtitles in one scene. The film is 13 minutes long and DV PAL 25FPS.

Cipher13
Nov 18, 2001, 04:14 AM

13 minutes... you won't do much better than you have already without losing loads of quality.

13 minute DV PAL, I'm guessing its roughly 2.8 gigs. MPEG1 could get you down to roughly 130 megs (VERY rough estimates; I have no idea what your movie consists of, or if its a good or bad target for compression).

Anyway... try Sorenson 3, and definately decrease the resolution.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 18, 2001, 05:32 AM

what cipher said. sorenson should cut it down quite a bit. also, drop the framerate down to 15 or so. if it's noticable (fast motion scenes), then move it back. but 25fps is excessive for a movie you post online.

KellyHogan  (op)
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Nov 18, 2001, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
<STRONG>what cipher said. sorenson should cut it down quite a bit. also, drop the framerate down to 15 or so. if it's noticable (fast motion scenes), then move it back. but 25fps is excessive for a movie you post online.</STRONG>
OK. I'll go for 15FPS with Sorenson 3 and report back. I'm also going to bring the resolution down to half VGA but then the subtitles in one scene might not show very well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules