Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AnandTech: HD 3000 worse than 320M

AnandTech: HD 3000 worse than 320M
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2011, 03:35 PM

Read and Weep. I knew it would be true, and it is.

Of course, I've abandoned gaming with Windows, and it seems the OS X game performance with the 3000 is a bit better than the 320M. See here. Could it be that Apple's drivers for the 320M were subpar and their drivers for the 3000 are stellar?

P
Mar 11, 2011, 05:54 PM

Note that the test resolution at medium is higher than what the internal display can handle.

It is slightly surprising that the values are so much worse than the preview numbers, but I guess it's down to Intel's infamously terrible drivers. It's not really fair to say that the HD 3000 is consistently worse than the 320M. In fact, it's about even - it wins on tests dependent on memory bandwidth and loses on those dependent on shader power.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2011, 06:00 PM

Doesn't Apple write the drivers (with Intel's help)?

P
Mar 12, 2011, 08:54 AM

Yes, but that test is done in Windows. The tests under OS X are better.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules