Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Picture width. 500 pixels - Resizing option different in different browsers

Picture width. 500 pixels - Resizing option different in different browsers
Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2011, 12:05 PM

For this post, the pix are 500 pixels wide:

Eug's post about visiting the other side of the planet

In Safari 5.0.5 it gives me options to increase or reduce the size, with the default at 93.46%.

In Firefox 3.6.16 (Windows 7) the pix are displayed full size, without the options for resizing.

Strange, no?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2011, 12:14 PM

Bizarre. I don't know the guts of the image tag handling in vBull, but I would think it should be browser independent. Have you tried this with other browsers? Somebody needs to...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2011, 12:23 PM

I just tried Firefox on Mac OS X and get the same behaviour as Firefox on Windows 7 - no resizing options for this 500 pixel wide picture. (For larger pictures, resizing options are there though of course.)

I just reset Safari, and the resizing options persist.

Weirdly enough, in IE 8 on Windows 7 I get no pix at all.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2011, 12:42 PM

Hmmmmm. I have no experience with IE8, but your other data suggests that Safari uses data from the page that IE does not, and that Firefox uses that same data, but differently. I hope a more experienced member than I chimes in with data on this. It's more and more interesting as I learn more about this issue.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 24, 2011, 02:32 PM

The forum's image resizer is a javascript that kicks in above 500 px width, scaling pics back down to 500. Anything 500 or less is untouched.

Two explanations come to mind.

A) Your Safari might have a JS limitation in effect. But that should turn scripts on/off, not change their code.
B) The resizer code got altered in the board update, and is applying a different scale value to a different browser. That would be weird though - that percentage works out to a display width of 467.3 px. Our old value was 480, not 467 and change.

I'm currently on dialup until my ISP fixes my DSL. This is postponing digging into several upgrade glitches, like the ampersand issue.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2011, 02:57 PM

Hmmm... As you suggest it may (at least partially) be an issue with this specific Safari on a specific machine. The machine in question is a Core i7 iMac.

I tried it on a MacBook Pro and on my iPhone 4 and don't encounter the same issue.

EDIT:

I have discovered the answer. On the iMac 27", because the pixel density is so high, all the text is very small. So, I COMMAND-+ upsized Safari's display by one notch. Not only does this increase the font size, it also increases the image size. If I drag the image from the page to the desktop, it is 500 pixels wide as expected. (I actually tried this before I posted the thread.) However, if I do a screengrab, the image size is actually about 534 pixels wide, give or take a pixel or two. 500/534 is 93% and change.

It would seem that COMMAND + increases everything by about 7%, and the JS applet applies itself in this context, even if the original image is 500 pixels or less.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 24, 2011 at 03:07 PM. )

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2011, 02:57 PM

I have no resizing option with safari or FF. I have my iMac (2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo) at max resolution (1680X1050)
45/47

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I have discovered the answer. On the iMac 27", because the pixel density is so high, all the text is very small. So, I COMMAND-+ upsized Safari's display by one notch. Not only does this increase the font size, it also increases the image size. If I drag the image from the page to the desktop, it is 500 pixels wide as expected. (I actually tried this before I posted the thread.) However, if I do a screengrab, the image size is actually about 534 pixels wide, give or take a pixel or two. 500/534 is 93% and change.

It would seem that COMMAND + increases everything by about 7%, and the JS applet applies itself in this context, even if the original image is 500 pixels or less.
Interestingly, in this thread the image is greater than 500 pixels: Hobo with a shotgun but if I COMMAND- reduce the size of the text and images in Safari, the JS applet no longer applies itself.

This is different behaviour than Firefox. In Firefox it makes no difference if I increase or decrease the display sizes. The Hobo with a shotgun image always gets resized, and the China food pictures never get resized. IOW, in Safari, the JS applet works on the final image size, but in Firefox the JS applet gets applied only to the original image size.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2011, 04:20 PM

This actually sounds like a bug in Firefox’s handling of JavaScript with dynamic content. As far as my logic will carry me, changing the size in the browser ought to be akin to dynamically updating the page somehow, which means that the browser should recalculate all sizes and positions, but also that all currently executed JavaScript code should be reevaluated.

I’m not sure off the top of my head, but I think Firefox used to be one of the browsers Quirksmode had down as not applying styles correctly to dynamically inserted HTML elements in some cases, and this would seem to a related type of bug.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 24, 2011, 04:35 PM

Huh, I'd regard it the other way. A user-applied scale factor should not affect the content. Rewrap to window width at most.

I'd say Firefox has it right, while Safari is letting page rendering interfere with user UI choices. The resize should be applied to original content, and the user scale control should work independently.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Huh, I'd regard it the other way. A user-applied scale factor should not affect the content. Rewrap to window width at most.
Most elements are already reevaluated when zooming; the scale does (and should) affect the content. Rewrapping is just one of those effects.

I wonder if there’s actually a documented behaviour for this particular case, though—it could just be that neither Safari nor Firefox is wrong, ’cause the behaviour is not documented.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2011, 09:36 PM

Studiously waiting for someone to inappropriately try to apply Command + to something other than their screen...

I'm glad that there is at least some explanation, though I wish it were as straightforward as "it was Cmd + that did it." I wonder if it's really Firefox's implementation of scaling under Cmd + rather than how it deals with Javascript that's causing Eug's oddities.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

I'd say Firefox has it right, while Safari is letting page rendering interfere with user UI choices. The resize should be applied to original content, and the user scale control should work independently.
It would seem that Apple agrees with you. Safari 5.1 in OS X 10.7 Lion behaves like Firefox in this regard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules