Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Senator Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii) - Badass Mother****er

Senator Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii) - Badass Mother****er
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2012, 01:32 AM

Just perusing reddit and came across the bio for Inouye, who apparently was in command of a platoon in WWII.

Him and his men got pinned down in Italy by three machine gun nests. Inouye stands up, gets plugged in the stomach, but charges the first nest with a Tommy-gun in one hand and grenades in the other. He takes out the first nest.

The medic tells him he's been hit bad, Inouye replies with "I ain't got time to bleed" (or words to that effect), and leads the charge on the second nest, which his platoon takes out. At this point Inouye collapses from blood loss.

While the rest of his platoon tried to suppress the gunner in the third nest, Inouye crawls to the bunker with a grenade in his hand. The gunner in the nest shoots at Inouye with a rifle grenade and blows Inouye's arm completely off. The one holding a live grenade.

With his one good arm, Inouye pries the grenade out of the fist of his severed arm and throws it into the bunker, all the while ordering his men to stay back in case the severed arm with the grenade relaxed on its own and went off.

Ummm... Holy shit?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 17, 2012, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Just perusing reddit and came across the bio for Inouye, who apparently was in command of a platoon in WWII.
Him and his men got pinned down in Italy by three machine gun nests. Inouye stands up, gets plugged in the stomach, but charges the first nest with a Tommy-gun in one hand and grenades in the other. He takes out the first nest.
The medic tells him he's been hit bad, Inouye replies with "I ain't got time to bleed" (or words to that effect), and leads the charge on the second nest, which his platoon takes out. At this point Inouye collapses from blood loss.
While the rest of his platoon tried to suppress the gunner in the third nest, Inouye crawls to the bunker with a grenade in his hand. The gunner in the nest shoots at Inouye with a rifle grenade and blows Inouye's arm completely off. The one holding a live grenade.
With his one good arm, Inouye pries the grenade out of the fist of his severed arm and throws it into the bunker, all the while ordering his men to stay back in case the severed arm with the grenade relaxed on its own and went off.
Ummm... Holy shit?
Yes, "holy shit." The senator started out with "something to prove" because at the time people of Japanese lineage were being segregated and treated as "potential enemies," so the esteemed senator volunteered for the Army and wound up (as did many Japanese American Soldiers) in Europe.

Senator Inouye was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions, and later his award was upgraded to the Medal of Honor because it was felt that Inouye's and other Nisei Soldiers' heroism was not fairly recognized due to their race. He stayed in the Army until 1947...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2012, 02:49 AM

If you take out a bunker with a grenade you pried from your own severed limb, whatever the biggest medal you can get and still be alive...

You should get that medal.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2012, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
If you take out a bunker with a grenade you pried from your own severed limb, whatever the biggest medal you can get and still be alive...
You should get that medal.
Agreed. Helluva story.
ebuddy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 17, 2012, 05:11 AM

Yeah, his story is covered in Ken Burn's WWII doc. Amazing story.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2012, 06:35 AM

Saw this on Reddit today. Amazing today.

andi*pandi
Jul 17, 2012, 08:34 AM

wow. Blood and guts.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, his story is covered in Ken Burn's WWII doc. Amazing story.
Interesting. I was wondering if there was somewhere the story got wide play.

I'm a little surprised I'd never heard it. Makes me think he doesn't talk about it a whole lot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 2, 2012, 09:27 AM

Mike Kelly dun goofed.

http://www.inouye.senate.gov/news/pr...senator-inouye

Wednesday, August 1, 2012
“I witnessed the attack on Pearl Harbor and had the privilege of serving in the United States Army during World War II and I find the comments made by the Congressman from Pennsylvania to be misguided and insulting. It is complete nonsense to suggest that a matter discussed, debated, and approved by the Congress and the President is akin to a surprise attack that killed nearly 2,500 people and launched our nation into the second World War or a terrorist attack that left nearly 3,000 dead and led to fighting and dying in Afghanistan and Iraq. Having fought for this nation in Europe, I find that I have a special kinship with those who served in Afghanistan and Iraq and I routinely visit with the most severely wounded veterans of those conflicts. Just yesterday I met with a brave young man who lost all four of his limbs in Afghanistan. I hope the Congressman from Pennsylvania has the courage to share his comparison with them,” said Senator Daniel K. Inouye.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2012, 09:38 AM

I like his juxtaposition of health care with people who have no limbs.

Well turned phrase, sir.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2012, 11:43 AM

He was pretty cool during the Watergate hearings too.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2012, 09:14 AM

R.I.P.

That's a drag.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2012, 09:42 AM

RIP BAMF

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2012, 09:17 PM

RIP
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules