Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > iPhoto ios - Where are the photos stored?

iPhoto ios - Where are the photos stored?
asxless
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2013, 12:23 PM

Where does iPhoto on an iPad store imported photos & movies? Specifically, when photos and movies are imported into iPhoto on an iPad do they end up in the same backup to iCloud as the Camera Roll or can their backup to iCloud be managed by turing on/off the backup by application (e.g. GoodReader, iTunes, etc).

The reason I ask is… We would like to keep a couple of hundred of our trip photos & movie clips on our iPad so we can show them to friends that ask. And we would like to backup any new photos we take/import on the iPad to iCloud. BUT.. we do not want to pay for additional iCloud storage just to backup photos that we already have backed up on an external hard drive.

Our "free" mobile.me extra 20GB expired Sept 30th and frankly I find what we can and can not upload to iCloud to be too limited to pay for the service. So I moved the trip photos and movie clips into GoodReader's Download's folder which isn't backed up to iCloud. This seemed pretty good until I realized that the GoodReader's "slide show mode" does not play the movie clips. It just skips them.

So we are looking for an iPad app that will allow us to store and show our trip photos and movie clips without them being included in the Camera Roll iCloud backup. Will iPhoto for the iPad do this? If not, do you have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance -- asxless in iLand

andi*pandi
Oct 4, 2013, 12:33 PM

There's always DropBox for an icloud alternative... has a decent IOS app, but I haven't tried playing vids on the ipad.

asxless  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
There's always DropBox for an icloud alternative... has a decent IOS app, but I haven't tried playing vids on the ipad.
Thanks. I agree that Dropbox is more useful than iCloud. But I'm really looking for an app that takes advantage of the local storage on the iPad, so that I'm not dependent on an internet connection to show someone a few photos/video clips. If push comes to shove I'll probably just turn off the iCloud backup of the Camera Roll.

asxless in iLand

P
Oct 5, 2013, 05:07 PM

Try Dropbox. As soon as you have synced the pictures to the iPad once (on your home WiFi, for instance), you don't need an internet connection to view them again. Images are viewed internally in the Dropbox app and never go to the Camera Roll, although you can of course view them in another app if you like. Never tried watching movies from there, but I imagine that it's the same.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

asxless  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2013, 10:56 PM

I really appreciate both of you folks (andi*pandi and P) for your suggestions.

But while DropBox has many good features, displaying photos AND movies as a "slide show" is not one of them -- with or without an internet connection.

I just uploaded to DropBox (via my home internet connection) a 5 sec movie, taken during the trip, into a folder that already contained 27 photos that I had uploaded during the trip. It took over 15 minutes to upload this very small movie. But that isn't the bad part. DropBox could only manage a heavily pixilated view of the movie. Worse yet, when I turned off the wifi connection it could not display it -- period.

But even if it could display the movie without an internet connection, DropBox renames uploads with prefixes of "Photo" and "Video". So you can view the photos and then you can view the Videos/ And even the photos were in reverse chronological order in the list.

asxless in iLand

Forum Links
Forum Rules