Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dreamweaver MX

Dreamweaver MX
happydays100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2014, 02:07 PM

I recently purchased the software Dreamweaver MX for mac and I cannot get it to install on my OS X 10.9.5 despite being told from the vendor that it should, can any one help please

Thorzdad
Nov 30, 2014, 07:44 PM

Is that Dreamweaver MX, or Dreamweaver MX 2004? MX is never going to work on an Intel-based Mac. MX 2004 might work, but it's very doubtful, considering the level of hacking these people seem to have had to go through to get MX 2004 sort-of working in 10.6.8. And, even then, I would assume they're using Rosetta, which 10.9 doesn't have.

What "vendor" did you buy an 11-12-year-old app from? It certainly wasn't Adobe (who bought-out Macromedia many moons ago.)

happydays100  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2014, 06:29 AM

happydays100  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2014, 06:33 AM

I am basically looking for a program to edit and create web pages for my mac that will replace Dreamweaver , it is a shame that Dreamweaver is not still available as it was excellent.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2014, 08:43 AM

What did you find excellent about it? Your answer might point to an alternative.

Thorzdad
Dec 1, 2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by happydays100 View Post
...it is a shame that Dreamweaver is not still available as it was excellent.
Dreamweaver is still available. To get the latest version, though, you have to subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud scheme. You could probably find a deal on one of the previous versions of Adobe's Creative Suites, which include much newer versions of Dreamweaver than the one you purchased. Both CS5 and CS6 (pre-Creative Cloud) will work on your 10.9 system with no problem.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2014, 09:31 AM

Agreed. Dreamweaver, when it was new and current, was a great tool, but it's been obsolescent for some time. There are more current tools that do a better job than Dreamweaver, and they give the developer more options, more flexibility, and often produce more supportable pages.

What did you really love about Dreamweaver, and what did you do with it (specifically, of course)?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2014, 10:18 AM

If I may join in here:

I use an old version of Dreamweaver (CS4) but am looking for a more modern replacement. I like the ability to:

- switch back and forth between a coding and WYSIWYG environment,
- manage multiple different sites,
- use the integral FTP ability to put/get/sync just: individual files, just parts of the site, or the entire site
- integration with image processing app. (Fireworks, mainly in my case)

Is there a more modern replacement that does this too? Or do they all do this? If so, any particular recommendations?
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by mooblie View Post
If I may join in here:

I use an old version of Dreamweaver (CS4) but am looking for a more modern replacement. I like the ability to:

- switch back and forth between a coding and WYSIWYG environment,
- manage multiple different sites,
- use the integral FTP ability to put/get/sync just: individual files, just parts of the site, or the entire site
- integration with image processing app. (Fireworks, mainly in my case)

Is there a more modern replacement that does this too? Or do they all do this? If so, any particular recommendations?
Yes.

WYSIWYG itself is not modern. Using a WYSIWYG editor your search engine rankings will be severely hindered, you may have browser compatibility issues, and surely a version of Dreamweaver that old will do nothing to help you create responsive websites that are better suited for mobile devices.

If this site has any value to you you are much better off learning basic HTML5 coding and using a more modern editor, of which there are a number to choose from. If this site is not important enough for such an investment, I would strongly recommend one of Squarespace, Wix, Strikingly, Weebly, WordPress.com, or the like before turning back to Dreamweaver. Your subscription to one of these services will probably cost less than your Dreamweaver solution.

As far as FTP goes, there are numerous FTP/SFTP tools, I personally prefer using SSH + Git. For image processing you can continue to use whatever Adobe tools you used before, although there are a number of alternative tools for compressing images if this is your primary need.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 1, 2014, 02:00 PM

If you know HTML, ANY text editor will let you create web pages. All you really need is a text editor (like TextWrangler) and a browser to develop pages and sites. When I was fooling around with HTML (quite some time ago), I used Text Edit and Internet Explorer on a Windows machine - and was able to do some pretty interesting stuff with just simple conditional statements, Java, and the like.

I use CyberDuck for FTP because I like it and it's been very flexible for me. As besson3c says, there are a lot of 'em around.

Depending on whom your web host is, you may already have some relatively powerful tools at your disposal. My hoster is 1 and 1, and they have some quite effective tools available just for using them as my host. For a slightly higher fee you can use even more advanced tools there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2014, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the info - I shall investigate further....
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

torpeau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2014, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Dreamweaver is still available. To get the latest version, though, you have to subscribe to Adobe's Creative Cloud scheme. You could probably find a deal on one of the previous versions of Adobe's Creative Suites, which include much newer versions of Dreamweaver than the one you purchased. Both CS5 and CS6 (pre-Creative Cloud) will work on your 10.9 system with no problem.
CS3 works on 10.9. I can't seem to find Java SE 6 to get it to work on 10.10.

Forum Links
Forum Rules