Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Briefly: Antenna upgrade for Airport Extreme stations, DJ Player 7.1

Briefly: Antenna upgrade for Airport Extreme stations, DJ Player 7.1
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 17, 2014, 03:44 PM

QuickerTek, a producer of antennas and RF products for Apple computers, has released an upgrade for the current Airport Extreme and Time Capsule base stations. The replacement wireless antenna offers dual-band 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz Wi-Fi, and triples the built-in range of the two devices. Users can arrange and use their Apple wireless device wherever desired, and easily position the upright and articulated antennas for optimal use. The upgrade is capable of boosting Apple TV as well as any other wireless networking task. The standard Airport Extreme base station does not have a built-in port to connect to the antennas, so QuickTek has a special attachment for its installation. Pricing starts at $400 for the Extreme Base Station antenna upgrade.

DJ Player update adds pitching shifting, new time-stretching engine

IMect's DJing software for iOS, DJ Player, has received an update offering overall improved performance and new features. Users of DJ Player can use the app by itself, or in any combination of the touchscreen, external mixers, MIDI controllers and vinyl (DVS). Eleven effects per deck are available, which are organized into three groups.

In v7.1.0, the app features a new time-stretching engine that has been rewritten from scratch. Offering higher audio quality than before, the update also includes new pitch-shifting functions for harmonic mixing that can be changed from -12 to +12 notes. Performance is improved on all iOS devices from the iPhone 3GS and later. DJ Player is free to download on iTunes.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 24, 2014 at 04:40 AM. )

pairof9s
Senior User
Feb 18, 2014, 11:38 AM

Wow...I must be missing something here. $400 for an antenna upgrade when the base station itself costs only $200. One could just get another 2 base stations to extend the network plus have additional Ethernet ports for local wired hardware.

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2014, 11:48 AM

Wow. I am actually in the market right now for a product exactly like this base station/time capsule extender, yet I would NEVER buy this thing. The reason being that it's so ugly that "hideous" and "eyesore" don't even begin to describe it.

Derp Junior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2015, 01:57 AM

Huge problem with this. Wifi does not work like your radio. You have to have strong antennas on both sides. This addresses only half the problem. If two people are playing catch, they can only stand as far apart as the weaker person can throw. Just cause my airport can throw a signal to the next block, doesn't mean the tiny antenna in my laptop can throw a signal back. The whole concept of this is just wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules