Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sawtooth G4 733 kernal panics and no chime

Sawtooth G4 733 kernal panics and no chime
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 03:18 AM

My computer has stopped playing the starting chime I noticed today, and I've been getting kernal panics out of the blue each time after restarting from the first time it crashed.

The system is a g4 sawtooth, 733 mhz, with 640 MB of ram.

My friend's indicated that that bad memory might be part of the problem as to why computer keeps getting kernal panics.

All I know is, I'm starting to feel like I ended up with a partial lemon (I got this thing pre-owned off of craigslist.com).

The chime typically indicates proper startup...does it mean anything else? Should I try to replace the entire suite of memory, or just get this fixed enough so that it's sellable and get rid of it? I wish the problem were easy to pinpoint and isolate.

Kernal panics....my most-hated thing about OS X.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 07:51 AM

Your friend is probably right, that does sound like a ram issue. In order to find out which stick is defective you have to test them separately
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules