Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Disc Burner & CD-RW Erase

Disc Burner & CD-RW Erase
pdeleon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2001, 03:53 PM

I am erasing a CD-RW using Disc Burner on a USB APS CD-RW. Currently the erase is at 1.5 hours--I know a CD-RW erase (not quick erase) doesn't take this long using Toast OEM 4.

Is there a problem or is this normal? When I click stop, a message box pops up saying "Stopping now may produce an unreliable disc..." so I know the process is alive and (maybe) well. As a side note, when I began the erase, the progress bar went immediately to the right and has stayed there since.

Any ideas?

RLeatherwood
Mar 2, 2001, 06:15 PM

I have a Iomega Predator USB CD-RW. Discburner took about 10 minutes to initialize my CD-RW disk.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2001, 11:51 PM

Your USB CDRW probably writes to CDRW discs at 2x or 4x (no faster). A 650 meg blank CDRW disk contains as much as 74 minutes of digital music. If your burner is 2x it should erase (rewrite to blank) in half that time (37 minutes). With 4x, a quarter that time (18 1/2 minutes). Obviously, something seems wrong. However, since CDRW discs are erasable, even if the erase got screwed up you should be able to just erase again and fix the disc itself.

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2001, 12:41 AM

I just installed Disc Burner 1.0.1. Which allows the support of external CDRW's. I tryed to use my Sony Spressa (Firewire) and it works until I try to accually burn the CD, then it comes up with an error 'unable to find PerformanceBurnEngine' Please help me...

Forum Links
Forum Rules