Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't install OS9

Can't install OS9
welderpm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2001, 05:20 PM

My 233 imac (0S9) freezes on startup,shortly after the progress bar starts.
I tried starting up in the "extensions off" mode and I get the same result.
My only solution was to do a "clean system reinstallation" with OS9.,But when I try to do the install I get a warning box saying I need to update my firmware. It won't let me install until I update the firmware but I can't update the firmware while I'm running off the startup disk can I?
I thought of installing OS 8.5 because it may install with out asking to update the firmware?, If so then I could update the firmware while running on 8.5 then reinstall OS 9? There has got to be a better way. Thanks in advance. P

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2001, 06:54 PM

Yes, you can update the firmware while using the Mac OS 9 CD as your startup disk.

(16)

welderpm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2001, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by AppleScript:
Yes, you can update the firmware while using the Mac OS 9 CD as your startup disk.

(16)
Great! How do I do that? I'm assuming I've got to have the programers button held down on start up for the firmware tone to come on but I'll also have to hold the c key down to boot off of the cd? Or is there another way?
P

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2001, 02:20 PM

Reboot off the Mac OS 9 CD. Run the firmware updater and follow the instructions provided. Upon restart, hold down both the C key and the programmer's button.

(19)

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2001, 04:51 PM

Reboot off the 8.5 CD and run a clean installation. Install only the minimum system. Restart from the hard disk and run the firmware updater. Reboot from the Mac OS 9 CD. Delete the System Folder on the hard disk and rename the Previous System Folder to System Folder. You should now install Mac OS 9.

(20)

welderpm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by AppleScript:
Reboot off the Mac OS 9 CD. Run the firmware updater and follow the instructions provided. Upon restart, hold down both the C key and the programmer's button.

(19)
Great! Back up and running, thanks a million! P

Forum Links
Forum Rules