Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX & SCSI

OSX & SCSI
bifterX
Sep 26, 2000, 11:56 AM

I'm quite keen to have a go with OSX but a little concerned about support for SCSI cards & RAID, has anyone had any experience with this or can it still support my devices under Classic?

------------------
Many Thanx

bojangles
Senior User
Oct 2, 2000, 04:37 AM

Hey there. It's been my experience that XPB doesn't support any kind of SCSI. I have a beige G3 MT and had to disconnect my SCSI devices (hooked to the stock internal SCSI!) just to install XPB! I doubt you'll have SCSI support until someone releases a third-party solution or X goes GM, whichever comes first.

Sorry!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2000, 06:07 PM

I've got an 8500 with a G3 upgrade and installed OSX WITH an Adaptec 2940U2W installed at the time.

The caveat is, you cannot use any drive connected to the card to boot from, you cannot use RAID yet. Any RAID volumes don't show up. And you can't effectively have OS9 on a partition of a drive using the card either.

BUT, the drives formatted with HFS+ DID show up and I can access them as data drives provided I use my internal SCSI bus for OSX and OS9.

For people who don't have SCSI onboard at all,I'm guessing if you install OSX (the base system) on your internal IDE drive and have your SCSI card (or at least the Adaptec2940U2W) installed, you can still use them for your data.

I've only been able to test this on my 8500, and I assume it would hold true for all models . YMMV.

Good luck. Vive la Macintosh!

morgan
Oct 2, 2000, 08:10 PM

I need to use my scanner but it doesn't recognize my adapatec 2904 in my B&W G3. Kind of a bummer since I'm dying to move permantly to OSX (or at least until it craps out on me).

There was an update put out to fix the apple wide scsi card that came with beige g3's though. Search maccentral or macnn to find a link. It was for OS X server, but might work with OSX PB. the caveat is that it apparently only works with apple's included scsi card on beige g3's.

davcomp
Oct 2, 2000, 08:30 PM

SCSI does work in Mac OS X! How do I know?? I am running Mac OS X itself off of an external 2 GB SCSI drive. However, I cannot get it to work under classic. I have a scanner and it doesn't not recognize that the scanner is there. In fact, it doesn't even recognize that SCSI exists at all. The Apple System Profiler in classic lists the external SCSI drive as an IDE drive, which I KNOW it isn't. So I don't really know what's going on, other than I know SCSI is at least somewhat implemented into OS X. Thanks!
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2000, 08:32 AM

Additionally, SCSI is partially implemented, and I believe apple will have it working in the final release.

The shims will need to be in place for all the software drivers to connect in a way that it thinks its talking directly to the hardware. *OR* new software drivers will have to interface with the hooks OSX provides to access SCSI devices.

Right now, SCSI hard drives work fine and the MESH controller from early PCI machines work fine including booting and running OSX and OS9. But, 3rd party SCSI cards *may* allow read/write to your drives without the ability to boot from them (I have tested this myself on an 8500 as previously posted.

Scanners are out until the drivers are updated, but they *can* work. I don't believe any hardware vendor would alienate their customers by not providing a driver (unless they already are on their way out of business).

Be patient on this one, I'm sure by the release this can be ironed out. Just be sure and let Apple know its important to you by submitting your information to them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules