Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbooks definitively have a serious overheating problem!

Powerbooks definitively have a serious overheating problem!
GloriousMasta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2002, 09:14 PM

Holy cow! His powerbook melted!

Look!

http://www.quarkfactor.com/melt.jpg

From MacAddict forum:

http://www.macaddict.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/018159.html

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by GloriousMasta:
Holy cow! His powerbook melted!

Look!

http://www.quarkfactor.com/melt.jpg

From MacAddict forum:

and to think, I run my PISMO 24/7 and the fan(s) have never come on.

This is just another reason why I am holding off on a new PowerBook.

VIVA LA PISMO!

zeller
Sep 16, 2002, 10:28 PM

Yikes! That is scary. Probably a manufacturing defect with his unit or some other sort of random problem, but still. Wow.

Yeah, I'm glad I've got a Pismo. Probably the best powerbook Apple ever made. Now if only you could upgrade the graphics card...

Ben

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2002, 11:34 PM

The thing looks Photoshopped at best.

I don't think the machine could get hot enough to melt keys.

Then again, he could be telling the truth. Considering how thin PowerBooks are and how much heat they generate (it's one of the later TiBooks since it has two "Apple" keys), I wouldn't be surprised. Melting plastic's hard, though. But, why are the keys moved around?

I don't have time to check extensively, though. Funny. I have a Pismo. I like it a little more now.

GloriousMasta  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2002, 11:52 PM

Just watch the whole story unfold at:

I don't think the machine could get hot enough to melt keys.

The fan stopped working but the powerbook kept running. And yes modern microprocessors produce a lot of heat.

The guys at Tom's Hardware removed the heatsink from a working Athlon processor and it reached 370 degree celcius!

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/index.html

The powerbook is a potential fire hazard...

euphras
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 02:45 PM

I think its one of the rare cases where a lemon (remember: a "Montagsauto") meets other unlucky circumstances like a broken fan or a guy trying to run SETI on the machine overnight. You cant compare FTP file sharing or leaving your laptop idle with a machine doing this SETI stuff during the night (100 % load @ 100 % of the time). Then a little obstacle like a burned fan can lead into such a catastrophy.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

skyman
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
I think its one of the rare cases where a lemon (remember: a "Montagsauto") meets other unlucky circumstances like a broken fan or a guy trying to run SETI on the machine overnight. You cant compare FTP file sharing or leaving your laptop idle with a machine doing this SETI stuff during the night (100 % load @ 100 % of the time). Then a little obstacle like a burned fan can lead into such a catastrophy.

Pat
What? That makes no sense.

You should be able to run your PowerBook at 100% 24/7 without having to worry about it melting down. Period.

Like I said in my last post, I run my PISMO (hard) 24/7 and the fan(s) have NEVER come on.

Apple has stated several times that you can use a Powerbook just like a G4 tower. In fact, they test their Powerbooks the same way. Looks like they forgot to test what would happen if the fans failed.

I am not saying that the story is true, but if it is then it is a sad statement for the Ti Powerbook.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2002, 06:41 PM

The thing is... how come all the keys are melt while the white bottom plate is intact?

I don't get it... but if it's true, this must be considered as one of the world's biggest wonders.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 10:22 PM

The lower part of the keyboard is partly made from metal and presumably has a higher melting point than the keys themselves.

euphras
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 10:20 AM

Maybe its just a fake, just some guys who managed to get a broken Ti and played a little bit around with a hot hair dryer....

But wondering: if its true story and (like i assumed) tha fan has broken, why doesnt the machine shut down automatically?

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

jindrich
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2002, 12:51 PM

hi, i discovered this thread today. clicked the links and none works.

is the dark force -you bet- behind this non working links? are they so scared to face the truth?

PowerMac2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2002, 04:32 PM

I missed the pics too but I'm pretty sure it was faked. My old Pismo 500 died on me years back when the fan didn't kick in and the processor overheated just like how they described. Even after sitting by itself for awhile, it really wasn't that much hotter than when the fan was running on high, let alone hot enough to melt parts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules